USMC Motorcycle Squad in 1916

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

Came across this photo, taken during the 1916 Campaign in the Dominican Republic, can anyone ID or provide info on these bikes. Anyone with info on how these Squads got their start and or history? Thx, s/f

image.jpg

I know zippo about motorcycles but that is a fantastic image. I know Tulkoff has a similar in his book with Marines wearing the early eagle anchor snap pistol cartridge belt. What a great assignment and neat era. Funny that rifleman next to them just seems to have envy in his eye doesn't he? Thanks for posting it. Kevin

You might try contacting Mike and Frank (American Pickers). With their knowledge of motorcycles they could ID the model, the years it was made, etc. They might even know info on their usage in the D.R. campaign. And if they don't know they probably know someone who does.

I don't know how far you'd be willing to go to research the photograph but this is one way of doing it.

Army Strong.

teufelhunde.ret

D nothing formal but they took motorcycles to Tientsin China with Butler and they performed courier duties etc and could serve as light scouts

D, funny you should mention. Here is a pic I found that was taken in China looking for info on USMC motorcycle squads. It does look like late 20s or 30s. The bikes does look somewhat similar? s/f

image.jpg