T-5 / T-7 static line

garison44

hello,

If my parachute was used by a movie company maybe "WB" means the Warner Bros. ;)

If sending some more pictures for You.

PS. There is no blue-coloured 42-xxxxx number stencilled onto the upper flap.

post-2167-1222880961.jpg

Johan Willaert

I always thought the Movie batch T5 were marked ELLIS with a number instead of WB...

To be honest, I don't know what to think af this T5. The harness looks OK, but as Glen said, where are the small X-stitches???

Frankly I don't like the pack. I'm not saying that it is not genuine, but if I saw this at a show for sale, I would have serious doubts about spending my money on this one.

But again, I DO hope someone can confirm where this batch came from and that they are OK...

Johan

Hi Guy's,

My freind Johan allerted me to this post and I have been looking at the various posts about the T-5 in question.

I myself used to own one of these T-5's... What I know of the history is (A little like what Glen said) ;

There was a bunch of these Irvin T-5's found in the Warner Brothers Studio by an Airborne collector by the name of Dennis Davis. The T-5's were gradually sold off, two of which were brought to Normandy by Dennis in 1994, I purchased one and Gary Howard purchsed the other and can be seen in his book America's Finest.

The T-5's are original and not put togethers, they were actually made by the Irvin chute co and sold to the Warner Bros studio's as props, so were never fitted with chutes, in fact they had specially made pillow's to pack them out.

There has been many discussions on these T-5's over the years and one of the big sticking points were that people had said they had never encountered an irvin T-5 to have been found in Normandy and did they use Irvin T-5's?? BUT we have since found Normandy Examples...

In conclusion, the T-5 in question is an Originaly made Irvin T-5, but was made for the film industry. The typical Airborne used examples are like the one shown on Johan's website and usually have the sewn on strip with pack and chute data.

I hope this helps

Regards Bruce

Johan Willaert

Thanks Bruce,

Does this apply to the Chest Pack too?

How about the ones marked Ellis instead of WB? Remember Allan B's rig?

Hi Johan

Yes it is strange that both the chest pack and main pack came from different sources yet they are both from the same batch...(irvin/Warner Bros)!!

I think the one that Allan B owned, from memory was a good example and was also marked RS.....

Regards Bruce

I have found stitching signs on my reserve pack so I'm sure there was a data strip before. Someone removed it. Maybe before it was sold to movie industry?

On the main pack I can see no signs of data tag, so I think it was never sewn on.

I'm 100% sure that my main pack was never used for airborne jump. Especially when I look at my static line hook.

I've seen johan's website many times as well as many others when searching for T-5 and I know how the correct Normandy rig should look.

So thank You guys for helping me with my questions. I'm glad to have such help.

Regards

Maciej

As I said before, if you check "The World War II GI US Army Uniforms 1941-45 in Colour Photographs" You will find the same "WB" rig on the photos.

Maciej

Johan Willaert
As I said before, if you check "The World War II GI US Army Uniforms 1941-45 in Colour Photographs" You will find the same "WB" rig on the photos.

Maciej

Yes, and the GI's getting chuted up with that set are Bruce and Allan Hausman

Hi Bruce,

Nice to see you on here!

Thanks for the extra info on this and confirming what I was thinking/remembering! And yep, Ellis was the other props company in question.

It's a shame really that it can't be said that these rigs are genuine military T-5's when they are 99% complete rigs - but the belief was that they were the last production lots from Irving during the changeover to T-7 production, and they were simply sold off to the film companies for their own use.

The blue "42-xxxxx" number is a film company stamp, and is in a faded blue stylised stencilling, completely different from the normal block stamping used on chutes for the individual chute ID numbers.

So yes, Maciej, these are T-5's, but will always have a bit of a stigma to those who know about them... but of course, everyone would rather have a Normandy-used T-5 if they could get them!

Cheers,

Glen.

PS The Chest Pack with the removed data panel turning up with the same "WB" marking is unusual - sort of makes you wonder if some fool has seen this marking in one of the books and has added it on thinking it was a Airborne-related marking!!

Thanks Guys,

I know that my chutes are not 100% military issue but I'm proud to have them.

T-5 parachutes are getting so hard to find, especially those from Normandy or later drops. Even if it was a film-prop it will always be a correct and beautifull example of a WW2 Parachute.

Maybe some day I will have enough money to own a Normandy rig but now I like the one I have.

It would be nice to meet You Guys. Maybe next year, during D-Day Anniversary in France. ;)

Many thanks to Johan, Bruce & Glen.

Best regards

Maciej ( and 101st Airborne Reenactors from Poland )

www.airborne.101.pl

PS. The photo shows me and my friend Peter during one of Airshows this summer. This Peter is wearing a replica from Vintage Parachutes. I'm helping Peter to fit a complete rig in front of a public. We did the show several times that day.

post-2167-1222968393.jpg

Johan Willaert
It would be nice to meet You Guys. Maybe next year, during D-Day Anniversary in France. ;)

Will be there from Wednesday 03 to Wednesday 10 June 2009, staying at my usual hide-out across the Restaurant Tivoli on the D514 at 100meters from the Pointe Du Hoc Roundabout...

Always glad to meet and talk with other collectors...

Johan

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Guys,

I know that my chutes are not 100% military issue but I'm proud to have them.

T-5 parachutes are getting so hard to find, especially those from Normandy or later drops. Even if it was a film-prop it will always be a correct and beautifull example of a WW2 Parachute.

Maybe some day I will have enough money to own a Normandy rig but now I like the one I have.

PS. The photo shows me and my friend Peter during one of Airshows this summer. This Peter is wearing a replica from Vintage Parachutes. I'm helping Peter to fit a complete rig in front of a public. We did the show several times that day.

Hi Maciej!

I think you should'nt be angry that You parachute is not 100% military issue, I guess You are reenactors guy so this para is the best for display, put some foam inside, added extra parts( static line, rigger tacking ) and para will be great!

Good luck,

Jerry K.

• 5 years later...

Hello,

I've got this static line for sale (With or without the hook) if you could be intrested.
The color is a green washed but it was a good WW2 Static Line.

I could measure this if you want, i think it was used for cargo delivery.

I've got same king cutted on the other side on White webb if you prefer ..

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

WWII Parachutist

This is actually a postwar cargo static line, French I believe. Note the nylon thread and 4-point cross stitch sewing pattern.

However you will need to move this to the For Sale section as per forum rules.

Hello,

No problem admin could delete my post. I just try to answer to the initial subject.

This Line come from French army yes, have you got a US line for seing us sewing pattern maybe ? I'm intrested to understand the difference ?

Fab