Latest Antiques Roadshow USS Squalus NC group

Pete-o MSU

If you guys missed the latest episode Jeff appraises a really nice USS Squalus salvage diver Navy Cross group. Really nice group and good to see some mantiques/militaria on the show!

Good work Jeff

Pete

Do you believe his appraisal was accurate?

I can't argue with it, but I've handled enough expensive groups to know that it's very subjective because groupings can be so unique that there really are no comps to go buy, just your experience and educated guesswork. If anyone has the experience to make the best educated guess on something like this, it's Jeff.

Thanks guys! I just about fell over when that walked in. It truly was a great day at Bismarck - there was another outstanding WWII group that I shot in the center ring earlier that day; won't discuss details yet since I do not know for sure if it will show up in Hour 2, Hour 3, or at all. (Some stuff is always cut.)

Full disclosure, there are two errors in the appraisal - the incident occurred during the last sea trials dive evolution, NOT during the shakedown cruise. Sculpin had just started her shakedown cruise when she returned to help search for Squalus. Also, it was not the largest peacetime Navy accident prior to WWII. Another submarine went down in the 20's that had a few more fatalities than Squalus. That's measuring in lives lost - if you are looking at dollars and cents, the Honda Point disaster is certainly a contender.

All things considered, though, it came off pretty well and was one of my favorites from this current season.

In my opinion the value would have been greater, if not for the fact that there were so many Navy Crosses awarded to the dive team. That being said, I think the group would sell in a heartbeat at the appraised price, especially considering the wonderful photo album that went along with it. (We could only show a couple of pages.)

Thanks for watching, and stay tuned. LOTS of cool militaria to come this year, and all kinds of other great things as well.

doinworkinvans

I am not a medal guy.in the least! And after watching this one, now I know why!!! $6000-7000 whoaaaaaa!

But obviously that story is amazing too!

But is it the photos and docs that set this over the top?!

Very cool and hope I can catch some good militaria this year.

Here is a pair to the Warrant Bosn. of the Sub Rescue Vessel USS Falcon. He was in charge of anchoring the Falcon (carefully) over Squalus.

No decoration.

Wharf

post-525-0-79717500-1424401498.jpg