Women's Motorcycle Corps

cutiger83

I posted this same topic in the Women's Section but I thought I would post it here as well in the hopes that some of you motorcycle collectors might have heard of these women.

I was watching a 1942 newsreel regarding the new roles of women during the war. Near the end, it shows some footage of a Women’s Motorcycle Corps serving as dispatch riders. I have been trying to find documentation about these women but haven’t had much luck.

I don’t believe this is the same as the Motor Transport Corps that was part of the American Women’s Voluntary Services. I believe the Motorcycle Corps in the video is a part of the WAC.

Has anyone ever heard of the Women’s Motorcycle Corps?

Here is the newsreel which is very interesting. It shows some great footage.

...Kat

Hi Kat!

This is very interesting, I'd have thought at first it was part of the Motor Transport Corps, but after seeing the footage I agree with you, it seems to be a section of WAC service. I hope others that might have some insight into this will weigh in on this. I'd like to learn more about this aspect. I'll be tagging this thread!

Thanks for posting, best wishes to you,

Joe

Kat,

The motorcycles in the video are civilian big twin Harley's or even a one Indian? The Army used the standard WLA Military Harley in WWII so this is odd they are training not with them? This is some thing the Army did a for trials and didn't last long I'm sure? This is new to me.

I've seen WWII photos before taken of WACs standing by the WWII WLA Harley with a GI sitting on the bike as maybe it's a their riding instructor? I'm not for sure though? or were doing a photo friends shoot? very cool to see the video.

Craig

Here is a great article of a African American Women that was with the Women's Motorcycle Corps during WWII. They were saying in the article that she used the 61 cubic inch Harley big twin flathead and that is what lookls to me to be in the video they also call them the civilian motorcycle dispatch rider.

During World War II, Bessie worked for the army as a civilian motorcycle dispatch rider. The only woman in her unit, she completed rigorous training maneuvers. She learned how to weave a makeshift bridge from rope and tree limbs to cross swamps, though she never had to do so in the line of duty. With a military crest on the front of her own blue Harley, a "61," she carried documents between domestic bases.

http://www.motorcyclemuseum.org/halloffame/detail.aspx?racerid=277

Hi Kat!

This is very interesting, I'd have thought at first it was part of the Motor Transport Corps, but after seeing the footage I agree with you, it seems to be a section of WAC service. I hope others that might have some insight into this will weigh in on this. I'd like to learn more about this aspect. I'll be tagging this thread!

Thanks for posting, best wishes to you,

Joe

Joe,

Thanks for stopping by! I thought it was interesting too.

....Kat

Here is a great article of a African American Women that was with the Women's Motorcycle Corps during WWII. They were saying in the article that she used the 61 cubic inch Harley big twin flathead and that is what lookls to me to be in the video they also call them the civilian motorcycle dispatch rider.

Thanks for the article. This video was early in the war so it very well could have been a trial run. Since there is so little about this group, I wonder if it evolved into the Motor Corps of the AWVS, This is all speculation.

Thanks for stopping by....Kat