USAF SDU-5/E Strobe

The_Brick

Hello all,

I recently picked up a SDU 5/e strobe marked USAF rather than US, but its missing the sticker revealing the manufacturer, contract number, serial number, etc. The strobe is painted black, but has the orange band that suggests its made before 1975/1976. I was hoping if anybody can give me an idea of the production date of the strobe, since it is different than the universal US marked ones. And I was wondering if anybody can tell me of the significance of the black paint on the top half of the strobe-possibly for camouflaging purposes?

post-116553-0-68631800-1424378286.jpg

post-116553-0-62769600-1424378295.jpg

post-116553-0-23515800-1424378303.jpg

post-116553-0-99023400-1424378311.jpg

hello Brick,

to be 100% honest I do not know for sure why that black paint. On my full-sized Navy aviator I put an MA-2 harness wich does have a (customized I think) side-stitched leather black rectangle, it lies on right shoulder and carries the orange SDU-5. This in turn, is secured to it by crossed strings that tie down the strobe passing through its side slots.

So it's somehow in view, and we could guess the black paint on your's maybe serves in (partly) hiding the bright orange if your strobe was meant to be carried in similar way too?

More cannot speculate for now.. Greetings from Italy. Franco.

The strobe normally comes with a green flash hider. As I recall when not in use the strobe is carried backwards inside the flash hider and sticks out a little past the top. So they paint it black so the orange is not visible when stored in the flash hider. Not sure on the date yours was made. I don't recall seeing the stamped USAF on later strobes so might be 70s. I don't believe they started painting them black until sometime after Vietnam

northcoastaero

I had a couple of these USAF marked strobe lights in the past. If I recall correctly, they were pre 1968. Also, the earlier strobe lights had a battery cap cover that was made from orange plastic. The black paint around the top could also prevent reflection of light leaking from the olive drab plastic FG-1B flash hider? The USN/USMC had a pre 1968 NAVY marked SDU-5/E strobe light. It differed slightly from the standard SDU-5/E. Does anyone happen to know what the FG-1 and FG-1A flash hiders looked like if they existed at all? There was an

FG-1C flash hider also. Hope this helps.