M3 Flak Helmet 3rd armored reconnaisance

Ray175INF

Nice Flak helmet, still has the ear pads that are always missing....Very nice one!

Hey man thanks! its weird though never seen one that was painted up with a mechanized unit marking.

Ray

After WWII ended some flak helmets found their way into armored service on a trial basis. This photo is from Korea and shows some Airborne guys linking up with some tankers wearing WWII era flak helmets.

Korean War Flak & AB.JPG
[Credit: Mike Whitehead]

After WWII ended some flak helmets found their way into armored service on a trial basis. This photo is from Korea and shows some Airborne guys linking up with some tankers wearing WWII era flak helmets.

attachicon.gifKorean War Flak & AB.JPG

[Credit: Mike Whitehead]

Oh c'monnn man how cool is that! Thats a great photo thanks for sharing it bud! :D DId some research on reconnaisance units within 3rd AD, the 83rd armored reconnaisance battalion was 3rd AD's recon asset, Thats unfortunately as far as i'll ever be able to go with it I think. Very cool nonetheless.

Ray

Great looking M3 and unusual to see one with applied markings other than USAAF. Looks as though the shell was either varnished or re-painted over its original flock finish, though the interior has retained its original colour. Those M3's actually fit quite well over a regular WW2 tanker helmet.

That's pretty much an unissued M3 helmet, I'm guessing this is a commemorative piece somebody worked up. M4A2 and M5 flak helmets were tested as a possible replacement for the Rawlings Pattern tank helmet in the period 1949 - 1950 but were rejected. When the Korean War started some armor units went overseas with the M4A2 helmet due to shortages of the Rawlings Pattern tank helmet. The M4A2 helmets were almost universally disliked and were soon discarded however. Rare to see them in a period photo!

Larry

Thanks fellas!!! Ive been looking at it for a while and for some weird odd ball out in left field reason it reminds me of a CVC :lol: In shape its vaugely similar right? :P

Eventually i'd like to pick up a tankers helmet and not to get off subject but a usmc helmet cover mannnn i'd really like to find/pick up those two pieces some day ^_^ amongst other things Lol cough cough sherman tank cough cough

Thanks again for all the insight, info on it much appreciated!

Ray