Dog tags from IWO JIMA Vets.... Post some!

USdog

Here is one i used to own, Herschel Williams awarded the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima.

cant get the pic to come up.

Jumpin Jack

I just acquired a grouping belonging to T/Sgt. George W. Bleier, USAAF, who fought on Iwo Jima as a signals NCO. What is interesting about his dog tags is the set which he wore has "C" (Catholic, which he was) on them, while there is a second tag showing a "P" (Protestant, which he was not.) Who says they don't make mistakes. Jack

The enlisted tags of 2nd Lt. Kenneth McCreary of F Co. 2nd Bn 9th Marines who was KIA March 19, 1945. He was awarded the silver star for his actions in and around the area of Cushman's pocket March 1-19.

post-2182-0-62031900-1437322391.jpg

Here is one i used to own, Herschel Williams awarded the Medal of Honor on Iwo Jima.

cant get the pic to come up.

Here they are, very nice tags !!

hersch10.jpg
hersch11.jpg

ViewfinderGyrene

Oh yes, I saw the post by erichjr and it said "used to own", thinking it was etienne. My mistake. Truly remarkable Etienne!

Hello,

I posted the Hershell's tags for erichjr because he couldn't post the photos ... unfortunatly, I don't own them ... I'd like, of course ;)

E

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some more. 6 tags all to the same corpsman who was at Guam and Iwo with the 9th Marines. You can see his full story on my website.

Connor,

What is your website URL? I'd love to check out your impressive tag collection!

Thanks E! I try my best to share the history I find on my dog tags for you guys to enjoy with me ;)

Let's see some more Iwo tags guys.....

Dogtags to the CO of the 5th Medical Bn, 5th Marine Division who earned a Bronze Star Medal for Iwo Jima.

attachicon.gif larsen.jpg

The whole group can be seen here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234456-iwo-jima-bronze-star-group-to-navy-surgeon-5th-marine-divison/

I remember seeing that one. Outstanding group and thanks for posting it here!

My grandfather was the second loader on the #1 5in aboard the DD540 USS Twining. The Twining was on picket duty offshore during the air raids on Iwo Jima. The Twining remained on station for 5 days.post-102692-0-24175000-1439466201.jpg

• 6 months later...
suwanneetrader

Here are my Dad's He was 3rd Div 21st Marines 3rd Btl. I Co. I apologize for not wanting to take them out of the cases for photo, but last time I opened up the one on the wall the Kabar fell out as well as the little boat he carved for me. The ones on their chain in the wall case he wore. The two in with some of my EGA's were extras I found in my Mom's jewelry box when she died. Richard

post-15934-0-93561400-1455742453.jpgpost-15934-0-26736900-1455742651.jpgpost-15934-0-14365000-1455742711.jpg

Richard, thats a great display, and what a great military history your family has. Did he carve the boat for you when he was in the service?

suwanneetrader

Richard, thats a great display, and what a great military history your family has. Did he carve the boat for you when he was in the service?

He carved it on Guam after they came back form Iwo. I will send you PM with photos as I do not want to hijack USdog's post sorry if I did. Richard