Colt 1911 A1

twines

This is a factory correct 1911A1 in the 7XXXXX serial number range. The slide matches the frame and all the internals are correct. The sighst were changed to later versions of WWII sights most likely at the owners request.. The change was armory.

post-65670-0-28352700-1424283862.jpg

post-65670-0-84970800-1424283889.jpg

Nice 1911A1. If only it could talk. I also have a 42 matching frame and slide colt. You know what they say about 1911A1s? You can't just buy one!

When you say the slide "matches" the frame, are you referring to the maker (Remington Rand Slide and Remington Rand Frame) or by actual serial number? I know some slides had serial numbers on them.

Trying to learn! Thanks!

Great rig, I enjoy full felt rigs like that!

Sorry for the short answer. Slides were marked by maker Ithaca, Remington Rand, Colt, etc on the side of the slide. The early WWII Colts were marked Colt on the outside of the slide and also serial numbered to the frame. There is a plate on the slide under the hammer that retains the firing pin. The slide is numbered to the frame in that spot. You have to remove the plate which releases the firing pin. Then you can see the serial number stamped in the slide. It is a very simple operation. Colt stopped the practice of putting the serial number in that location somewhere in the low 1,XXX,XXX's To the best of my knowledge Colt was the only manufacturer to do this.

Colt put matching serial numbers on slides (under the firing pin retaining plate) up until serial number 1,114,000 (approximately). Other manufacturers only put serial number on frame. Due to arsenal reworking, occasional Colt pistols will be seen where serial number on frame and slide do not match.

When you say the slide "matches" the frame, are you referring to the maker (Remington Rand Slide and Remington Rand Frame) or by actual serial number? I know some slides had serial numbers on them.

Trying to learn! Thanks!

Great rig, I enjoy full felt rigs like that!

• 2 weeks later...