From Grandfather's LT

Ngrovcam

Folks,

I took a trip recently to visit my Grandfather's neighboring platoon leader from the 65th ID in Europe during WWII. I called him up nine years ago at 8 years old hoping to talk with him about Bah (grandpa) as he had dementia and couldn't remember much of the war. We kept in contact as we tracked down a few of the other men from the company (The BAR Gunner from 3rd Platoon, a rifleman from 3rd, my grandpa a rifleman from 3rd, the C/O Captain Upp who was later Major Gen, a mortarman from 1st platoon, and Lt Kohl in charge of 2nd platoon) all gone now except Lt Kohl and the rifleman from 3rd platoon. Mr Kohl came to meet me on an Honors Flight to DC in June 2010 and now I went to see him in Kansas. We spent two days together talking, eating together, reminiscing, hearing stories from each other and men we knew....beautiful. He keeps a photo of "my boys in the platoon" on his dresser and talks about them all- it's beautiful. He is 92 years old now and he gave me the following items I thought you all would appreciate to see....he later was an Aide to MG Robert Macon and ohhhhhhh the stories I've heard! First pics then items :)

post-64499-0-04558500-1424204271.jpg

Kohl with his beloved wife Doris

post-64499-0-60134800-1424204311.jpg

Kohl after his commissioning July 4th, 1944

post-64499-0-66976300-1424204389.jpg

His boys, a few names he remembered but here are the KIAs

#4- PFC Oscar A Wilson, KIA March 15th, 1945 in Saarlautern, Germany. Buried in St. Albans, West Virginia

#5- PFC Ralph Cuca, KIA March 15th, 1945 in Saarlautern, Germany. Buried in Luxembourg American Cemetery

#7- Sgt Horrell E Baker, KIA April 21st, 1945 in Nuemarkt, Germamy. Buried in Devine, Texas

post-64499-0-91282600-1424205091.jpg

The Jacket, the 1Lt Bars were pinned on him by MG Robert Macon when Kohl was appointed his aide. They haven't been touched since according to kohl

post-64499-0-73656400-1424205438.jpg

A NAZI Party Flag signed to him by his platoon in the 26th ID after the war. It was composed of men from scrapped units who didn't have points to go home- like the 65th. It was signed to him on the hood of his 1938 mercendes that was the SS Colonel's staff car once in charge in Linz Austria. Mr kohl and his platoon of the 26th were guarding the captured vehicle motor pool in Linz. This was found in the hotel at a podium hitler spoke at in the 30s

That's all gents! Mr Kohl is family to me....he is the absolute most amazing man I've ever known! I love him as my own grandfather...we sat in his room watching the Army Signal Corps footage of the 65th in Europe i put on a DVD eating pistachios and drinking coke. One hell of a guy....thanks all!