1875 Pattern Pistol Cartridge Box

Steve Rogers

This came in over the weekend- an 1875 pattern US pistol cartridge box. The adoption of metallic cartridges brought on a slew of experiments in ways to carry them. In 1874 the army adopted a Dyer pattern cartridge box for pistol cartridges that was only produced in very limited numbers before they realized that the thousands of Civil War cap boxes remaining in store could be modified. The 1875 pattern was created by removing the interior fleece and vent pick, and cutting the inner flap to leave just two triangular ears that were sewn down over the top edge of the pouch so the cartridges would not bounce out if the soldier left the flap unbuttoned.

Some were made with a wood block inside that was bored for six cartridges, but more could be held without the block. In his book on Indian War cartridge pouches, Dorsey thinks those with the blocks were later and used only for the Schofield cartridges, which were shorter than the Colt.

In any case, this one is still in decent shape and shows the Civil War subinspector stamp on the outer flap and the embossed oval US that was added when the box was converted.

post-151665-0-50528700-1424140721.jpg

daniel griffin

Rare cartridge box generally seen in poor condition, nice to see one in fine condition, thanks for posting it.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve Rogers

Here's a shot of the back and of the interior.

They did not do anything to the back. The interior was altered by cutting away the inner flap to leave two triangular end pieces that were then sewn down to limit the chance of the cartridges bouncing out. The Dyer pattern cartridge pouches had similar little tabs at the ends. This shows remains of the strip of fleece along the top back edge of the interior that was used in the CW cap pouches to keep the percussion caps from coming out. It seems they left it in boxes where they were not going to use a bored block. At least they did so in this one. That would be in keeping with the design of the Dyer pouches also- they were fleece lined, as were some of the early converted US cartidge boxes for .50-70 ammunition.

Dorsey (p.9-10, Indian War Cartridge Pouches) says the inner flap was completely cut away, giving the impression the ears were separate, but the few 1875 pistol boxed I have seen were all done this way. I don't see how one could tell if the fleece were removed as part or the conversion or later. It would make no sense to have it with the wood block, but does make sense for those without it. Meadows (p.393) disagrees with Dorsey on both points.

Dorsey also warns that some have faked the pouches by altering CW cap boxes. I don't know if this is an actual observation or just supposition that it could be done. The quality of the stitching on the side pieces and the difficulty of molding old leather give me some confidence though in this one.

One last note is that this one shows the CW inspector mark on the front but no postwar inspector mark on the tab. Dorsey thinks there must be one, but I think that is too doctrinaire.

post-151665-0-37670800-1425844077.jpg

post-151665-0-16944000-1425844263.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 8 years later...

Hello Folks,

I just came across this post. Since I just purchased the other pattern 1875 pistol cartridge box mentioned in this post, I thought I would share some pictures of it. My pattern 1875 pistol cartridge box has the bored out wooden block to hold 6 cartridges. It also has had the inner leather flap completely removed as mentioned above. No leather ears on my box. My pattern has the same CW subinspector (GT Woodberry) as the pistol cartridge box pictured in the initial post. I replaced my non converted CW cap box on my 1874 cavalry belt rig with this converted model 1875 pistol cartridge box. 

1875 cap box b 1.jpg

1875 cap box c 1.jpg

1875 cap box d 1.jpg

1875 cap box e 1.jpg

1875 cap box a 1.jpg

• 5 months later...