NEED HELP! Afghan helmet or PASGT?

Hunter Whittaker

Hunter Whittaker

Hi I've come across this helmet and am wondering if it's an Afghan kevlar or a PASGT. If it is an afghan helmet are they rare? Any help is appreciated!!

post-157121-0-93365900-1424138653.jpg

post-157121-0-86918500-1424138664.jpg

That doesn't look like a PASGT. The profile looks different, and I've never seen a size marking like "AS-2". All U.S. made PASGT helmets will have a manufacturer's mark molded into the top of the dome on the inside, as well as a stamped in specification label on the inner-rear portion of the shell.

It looks like this example is also missing the chinstraps?

Hunter Whittaker

Ya it's missing chinstraps It just looks odd to me I've heard afghans had there own style of kevlars but I can't seem to find any pics! I also think the cover looks wierd to!

There were quite a number of different countries that adopted a PASGT style helmet. Furthermore, Afghanistan has not used the 3-color DCU camouflage pattern extensively, and all of the PASGT style Kevlar helmets that I've seen confirmed to have been used by Afghanistan military/police units tend to look different (different hardware for mounting the helmet suspension, different suspension, etc.).

A lot of countries have sent military forces into Iraq/Afghanistan, so you may want to check through composite helmets used by nations other than Afghanistan. Any particular reason you are convinced that the example you have shown originates from Afghanistan?

More information and pictures (such as any other markings that may be on the helmet or cover) would be helpful.

Hunter Whittaker

I thought it might be an afghan helmet because I've seen a picture of a helmet that was labeled as an afghan helmet but I can't seem to find it anywhere lol so I just wasn't sure. As for more pics it's not my helmet I was considering buying it if it was possibly a rare find but Id like to find out more info on it before I do. Thanks for the iput I appreciate it!

Hunter Whittaker

I have but I looked up iraqi helmets and they all look like m1 style helmets. I joined the oif/oef forum I'm going to post pics of it tonight.

I'mm going to go out on a limb here and say this is probably an older US PASGT helmet given to the Iraqi Army as aid. One of the reasons I say US is because of the pattern in the Kevlar on the inside.

The cover does not appear to be US and I found a cover very similar in use with the Iraqis.

Whatever the case, you have a great helmet that I wouldn't hesitate to have in my personal collection.

US_Navy_060514-N-8252B-047_Local_Iraqi_Army_soldiers_set_up_a_cordon_and_prepare_to_enter_a_close-quarters_battle_house_during_training_at_Forward_Operating_Base_Duke.jpg

The Iraqis have used both the PASGTs and the ACH type.

The point behind the picture was to show the three color helmet cover.

Hunter Whittaker

Thanks for the information! I was really confused on what it might be. I found this helmet on ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. The seller wasn't sure on it being a PASGT helmet I thought I'd take a chance on it I paid around $50 for it

Niiiiice snag man!! To concur with nkomo yes IA's as wells as IP's did utilize the the PASGT, I remember seeing U.S. civilian contractors working for KBR wearing them as well.

The picture nkomo posted showing 3 IA's the last guy with the goggles on his kevlar I believe his PASGT is the Light weight version, the (LWH) had a 3 point chin strap

Ray

The lightwieght PASGT (not the LWH, thats marine issue) was simply sold with the airborne strap. Its the same strap that can be added to a normal a PASGT. His strap appears to be something different, it does not seem to attach to the ear like a issue chin strap, looks to be forward more. Anyway thats besides the point of the thread.