Strange V Corps Patch

gap

I have never seen anything like this one in 36 years.If its cheap enough buy it just to get a hands on look at it.Scotty

Reminds me of the embroidered-on-felt 1940's "WW1 style" patches produced by Patch King (most notably that very loose cheese cloth backing). I would guess that's the origin of this patch. And, that's not a totally bad thing, as it was made during the period it could have been worn.

Gap;

It looks like you have a somewhat scarce but totally legit manufacturer's variation. A similar style of construction can be found in most if not all of the Marine Air Wings. I also have the same thing in 3rd and 5th Marine Division patches. I'm sure there are others. Nice patch.

Jim

This style exists for several of the WWII USMC patches. I have a Londonderry and a 13th Defense BN done like this (the 13th is on white felt), both have been trimmed down but you can still see that they are fully embroidered on felt and not the usual twill.

My own opinion is that these have no connection to Patch King (do you have a WWI style patch king fully embroidered on felt?), but then again thats just my opinion. As for the loose cheese cloth backing, so do the "wide foot" on twill 4th Marine Division patches as well as several other WWII USMC patches.

This style exists for several of the WWII USMC patches. I have a Londonderry and a 13th Defense BN done like this (the 13th is on white felt), both have been trimmed down but you can still see that they are fully embroidered on felt and not the usual twill.

My own opinion is that these have no connection to Patch King (do you have a WWI style patch king fully embroidered on felt?), but then again thats just my opinion. As for the loose cheese cloth backing, so do the "wide foot" on twill 4th Marine Division patches as well as several other WWII USMC patches.

I also have a Londonderry in this style. Here is a photo. There an old thread that showed this identical patch which belonged to a Marine who was stationed at Londonderry during the war. He got the patch in the PX. So I think your patch is 100% original and legit.

-Ski

post-3043-0-82382700-1424117789.jpg

post-3043-0-42270600-1424117897.jpg

I also have a Londonderry in this style. Here is a photo. There an old thread that showed this identical patch which belonged to a Marine who was stationed at Londonderry during the war. He got the patch in the PX. So I think your patch is 100% original and legit.

-Ski

Ski,

Yours is also embroidered on felt?? It's sure has an early-WW2 embroidery pattern. Very nice patch, by the way.

I have received two phone calls from customers within the last two hours.Both of them said I sold them identical patches to the one that started this thread within the last ten years.So much for a 75 year olds brain I think I am losing it.Scotty

• 2 weeks later...

Ski,

Yours is also embroidered on felt?? It's sure has an early-WW2 embroidery pattern. Very nice patch, by the way.

Sorry for the wait! I didn't know that the thread continued. Yeah, the patch is embroidered on felt.

-Ski