Six new toy guns!

siege1863

This lot arrived today...

Composition Colt .45 Automatic; measures 5" long.

post-211-1216254024.jpg

Automatic made of wood with OD paint and stamped details; measures 7" long.

post-211-1216254060.jpg

"Commando" model made of wood stained dark green; measures 10" long.

post-211-1216254086.jpg

Wood "Paratroopers Secret Automatic"; spring-loaded and fires wooden "bullets"; measures 6 1/2" long.

post-211-1216254527.jpg

Original paper envelope for the gun.

post-211-1216254568.jpg

Handmade machine gun (my favorite of the lot!); measures 19" long.

post-211-1216254800.jpg

Big! handmade machine gun; measures 37" long; tube on top serves as a scope; missing tripod and crank handle.

post-211-1216254831.jpg

Wood "Paratroopers Secret Automatic"; spring-loaded and fires wooden "bullets"; measures 6 1/2" long.

eyeout.jpg

Johndanger---

Thanks for posting the photo of the boy and toy gun. Where did you find this photo? In addition to collecting the guns, I also look for original photos of the boys in play uniforms and with toy guns. They can be hard to find! I have a couple of guns like the one the boy is playing with.

Johndanger---

Thanks for posting the photo of the boy and toy gun. Where did you find this photo? In addition to collecting the guns, I also look for original photos of the boys in play uniforms and with toy guns. They can be hard to find! I have a couple of guns like the one the boy is playing with.

A while back I saw a book with children in uniforms , and ever since have been after kids stuff and pictures , I have had a childs Air Corps uniform and a navy uniform. I have also found some pictures of kids in uniforms , but not many with toy guns.

Here is a pair of ruthless WWI fighter pilots.

post-3435-1216433391.jpg

and a friends kid in a WWII sailor suit ( still a bit too big ), I have since found the matching Donald Duck hat.

post-3435-1216434087.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great thread...I love pics of kids playing "soldier" during wartime and seeing the toy guns the carried into imaginary battle.

This picture was taken in 1898 shortly after the Spanish American War started. It is titled "Cole's Cuban Cadets" and features Charlie Cole who was the neighborhood boy that formed the group to beat back the Spanish! The photo is poor quality since it was acquired from the local historical society but it does show two brothers who actually lived in my house back during that time period. They are apparently carrying toy rifles and wooden toy swords. I guess they all wanted to impersonate Teddy Roosevelt and his charge up San Juan Hill...LOL!

colescubancadets.jpg

Here's a pic of my two boys during Halloween about 4 years ago. One is carrying a very accurately carved M1 Garand which was made from a block of wood. The other is carrying a plastic airsoft Thompson.

John

halloween1.jpg

My father was a WW2 and Korean War vet who retired from the Air Force in 1961. The stuff that I had as a kid I wish I still had. Those are really neat old toys.