Ka Bar help

bruv

I just picked up this knife and would like some comments about it. By the way, I am new here, just joined the other day. Neat site. Ok, I wondered about the crossguard. Weren't the straight ones like that USMC? Also, if it is, why would the USMC letters be there? I have a couple of Camillus USMC and they have the same shape, look, scabbard as this, but the handle on this one is different than my Cammillus knives. It seems in bigger chunks. Thanks in advance for any help you may give me in this post.

Dave

post-508-1170221202.jpg

post-508-1170221212.jpg

post-508-1170221223.jpg

post-508-1170221234.jpg

post-508-1170221244.jpg

post-508-1170221254.jpg

post-508-1170221265.jpg

post-508-1170221277.jpg

post-508-1170221288.jpg

post-508-1170221299.jpg

post-508-1170221312.jpg

Greg Robinson

Hey

Welcome to the US Militaria Forum.....this is a great place to learn or just hang out and share your collection with others.

As for the knife. you can drive yourself mad trying to apply logic to these. UNION CUTLERY CO AKA "KA-BAR" had more variations, sometimes in defiance of govt specs, than any other maker of these. Most had either "USMC" or "USN" markings although there was one variation which was only marked with the "KA-BAR" mark on one side of blade and the other side unmarked. Why did they do this? Who knows...but it makes collecting them interesting. The cross guards were supposed to be bent but some weren't....why was this? who knows. You example is typical of what they were making in the late '43 to early '44 time period. It has the early style pommel and early round blade tang but later maker marks. Earlier KA-BAR maker mark included "OLEAN NY". The scabbard is the typical unmarked russet brown leather used by the Marines. Navy knives were usually sent out with "USN" marked scabbards and the Navy switched to the plastic scabbards later in the war.....the Marines stuck with the leather.

Greg

That is great. I really appreciate the information. The scabbard does have the name of a Tech sgt and some of his info. I am relieved at your information as I was wondering if it was what it turned out to be.

Dave

Hey

Welcome to the US Militaria Forum.....this is a great place to learn or just hang out and share your collection with others.

As for the knife. you can drive yourself mad trying to apply logic to these. UNION CUTLERY CO AKA "KA-BAR" had more variations, sometimes in defiance of govt specs, than any other maker of these. Most had either "USMC" or "USN" markings although there was one variation which was only marked with the "KA-BAR" mark on one side of blade and the other side unmarked. Why did they do this? Who knows...but it makes collecting them interesting. The cross guards were supposed to be bent but some weren't....why was this? who knows. You example is typical of what they were making in the late '43 to early '44 time period. It has the early style pommel and early round blade tang but later maker marks. Earlier KA-BAR maker mark included "OLEAN NY". The scabbard is the typical unmarked russet brown leather used by the Marines. Navy knives were usually sent out with "USN" marked scabbards and the Navy switched to the plastic scabbards later in the war.....the Marines stuck with the leather.

Greg