triggerhappyjim

My Nam Displays

Well I was thinking about the guy in hue, if you did that you wouldn't be able to carry canteens since I think most would have M56 covers by then and with the older hook covers they would bounce around alot. I guess this was only use for city fighting then?

There was a lot of intermingled equipment in Hue...so you had a combination of both....

I think that in order to make an accurate USMC Nam set first you need to determine what year you want to represent or a particular battle or operation, having decided that look for photos and copy a guy or a combination of several ...

you can place 5 M61 M14 pouches eassyly in your belt along with a bayonet, 2 canteens and jungle pouch.....if you want to add more then that is when it gets tight...I suggest also distributing some items with the flak vest rigging....

remeber if you want to do a Pre 69 set up you need a vest with no pockets....although they say that this was a 67 introduction almost all the photos you see guys with vests with no pockets.... ;)

Interested in USMC in the NAM

Nice,

I have 4 or 5 Marine display torso mannequins I am working on. So I'll add some photos when I get them all together.

J

Nice,

I have 4 or 5 Marine display torso mannequins I am working on. So I'll add some photos when I get them all together.

J

J...cant wait to see them!!! are you doing different gear set ups and different stages fo teh war?

That is what I tried to do portray marines in different eriods of the war.....I still need to do my 65 rep....

so far im about to finish my 69 will show photos soon

Nice displays! Where did you get those mannequins?

an uncle of mne got them...dont know exactly where I think on line

Here's a nice 1953 dated 3rd pattern USMC M52 vest. These saw more action in Vietnam than Korea.

Note the grenade tab. Something you'll only see on Korean War era vest.

post-2305-0-56728000-1427931429.jpg

Looks almost like a 1st pattern m55 vest without the collar and rifle guard

Looks almost like a 1st pattern m55 vest without the collar and rifle guard

Correct. This size medium vest compared to my size medium first pattern M1955 runs a bit smaller too.

no here is the question...in all the photos I see that the wet rubberized wet weather parka doesn't have pull tabs at the sleeves, probably 60´s DSA...was this later addition...? I got one....unfortunately not 60´s but DLA (80) that´s got them..(this is a temporary addition while I get the 60´s dated)....

so was the Velcro pull in tabs at the sleeves a later modification to the original model? because I do see the one at the neck on both models....

well got a DSA 67 marked vest...and yes...color is completly different just as in the photo from the post im quoting and no velcro with pull tabs on the cuffs....so the 60´s wet weather rubberized parkas differ form the 80´s one in color and some minor additions....

will be adding photos of the up dated Hue MG later on.... B)

Its this one.....its 1966 article about the water war in Vietnam

also has the article about the death of Dicky Chapelle

Finally got around to posting a picture of the one I had lol. Its a 1965 article about a green beret with some Vietnamese tribesman

post-153851-0-84401000-1428602172.jpg

donation2017.gif

Finally got around to posting a picture of the one I had lol. Its a 1965 article about a green beret with some Vietnamese tribesman

attachicon.gifDSC_0529.JPG

a real classic dealing with early Nam history.....

for reference...here is a comparison of a Nam (67 dated, right) wet weather parka and a post war (80´s dated left) you can clearly see the difference in the OD color and that the Nam one has no Velcro for pull tabs on the cuffs...

post-87246-0-68305800-1428869801.jpg

now having seen the difference between the parkas....had to get the right look on my Hue machine gunner and here we are....!!

post-87246-0-35831700-1428869996.jpg

post-87246-0-51955000-1428870020.jpg

and here is the USMC 1969 display...we can see the use of ERDL camo pants...flak vest with the added nylon pockets, army issue helmet band, more M56 gear in combination with M61, the use of ARVN rucksack preferred over the M41 as you could put more stuff in it....

post-87246-0-74328500-1428870599.jpg

post-87246-0-05838200-1428870608.jpg

Interesting thread Jim. Thank you!

Years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Murtha. Gary is a noted expert on Samurai swords and collected ARVN material for many years. He's written a couple of books on his service with the Fox 2/7 in Vietnam - "Time Fighter" & "Huns Inc". I once asked Gary if the marines ever wore insignia on their Jungle fatigues and he answered "Why yes, yes we did - we had our blood type written in marker above the left chest pocket". That said it all for me. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing your collection and the photographic reference for your depictions. Great work.

And I looked, and Behold a Pale Horse:

And his name that sat upon him was death,

and Hell followed with him.

Revelation Chapter 6, verse 8

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Interesting thread Jim. Thank you!

Years ago I had the pleasure of meeting Gary Murtha. Gary is a noted expert on Samurai swords and collected ARVN material for many years. He's written a couple of books on his service with the Fox 2/7 in Vietnam - "Time Fighter" & "Huns Inc". I once asked Gary if the marines ever wore insignia on their Jungle fatigues and he answered "Why yes, yes we did - we had our blood type written in marker above the left chest pocket. That said it all for me. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed seeing your collection and the photographic reference for your depictions. Great work.

Thanks john for your comment and the anecdote....

herer is a shot of the back of this ERDL USMC tunic....it has some stuff written in the back....

post-87246-0-34704400-1438347369.jpg

Nice collection and well displayed.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif