triggerhappyjim

My Nam Displays

It said the file was too big and I'm not sure how to upload a file of its size.

Nice vest, I remember it from ebay! Any 1959 USMC helmet covers?

I was asking how would they carry the grenades if they didn't have a 3 cell pouch.

hanging them anywhere like the web gear or on the flak vest is often nick named carrying your grenades "John Waye style" or Hollywood style because thats how they often show them carrying extra grenades in the old John Wayne movies like in Sands of Iwo Jima or pulling the grenade pin with your teeth.

soldiers were often told not to carry grenades that way because they could snag on something and the pin could get snagged on a branch or bush and cause an accident.

the Vietnam war photos show they were still carried this way hanging off the web gear

Nice vest, I remember it from ebay! Any 1959 USMC helmet covers?

Yeap...the Hue machine gunner will have a WWII helmet cover like the art next to the photo.....

Interested in USMC in the NAM

This photo is actually from a group of English reenactors believe it or not:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/how-they-fought-marine-m-60-machine-gunner-hue-1968.htm

Thanks for the link...know those photos well...I like keeping and archive of nam photos, especially color and USMC...so I search the web to see what I find.....

:D

Im currently working on this guy....

Just waiting for the itmes to arrive...then Ill rearrange all the USMC and take some good photo of each....

Ok guys......im going to start working on this guy...first the differences between the art and the photo...

the number one thin is I will definitely put the WWII style frog skin.....

now the question in the art he has his gear hanging form the vest......but in the photo I don't think he is as he has aM56 canteen...and the way the holster is I doubt its hanging form the vest....

what do you guys think?

post-87246-0-93102100-1426342275.jpg

...he is definitely wearing the rubberized wet weather parka.....there are plenty of photos showing this rubberized wet weather parkas....

post-87246-0-24321100-1426342872.jpg

post-87246-0-47259300-1426342880.jpg

post-87246-0-67926900-1426342951.jpg

no here is the question...in all the photos I see that the wet rubberized wet weather parka doesn't have pull tabs at the sleeves, probably 60´s DSA...was this later addition...? I got one....unfortunately not 60´s but DLA (80) that´s got them..(this is a temporary addition while I get the 60´s dated)....

so was the Velcro pull in tabs at the sleeves a later modification to the original model? because I do see the one at the neck on both models....

post-87246-0-25774000-1426343887.jpg

Well with the M56 canteen, in most pics and vids I've seen of Marines in Hue, they're are almost always using M56 canteens, but it is possible that if he has two canteens then he could have 1 M56 and 1 steel canteen. With the holster, its probably hanging from the web belt with the kabar stuck behind it in my opinion.

Ok guys...here we go.......

1st Battalion 5th Marines, Machine gunner Hue City Tet offensive 1968:

post-87246-0-24869400-1426366539.jpg

post-87246-0-27777700-1426366547.jpg

post-87246-0-48001600-1426366595.jpg

so far two NAM USMC sets completed...my 1969 guy is missing his ARVN rucksack...he will be ready next month....

post-87246-0-57999000-1426375953.jpg

I was wondering, but what kind of suspenders do you have on your con thien display. M56 or m41?

Thanks, I was just wondering how you managed to fit 5 m61 pouches on you con thien display. Only managed to get 4 on mine.

Thanks, I was just wondering how you managed to fit 5 m61 pouches on you con thien display. Only managed to get 4 on mine.

I think it was common practice for some men to wear 5......if you space them correctly they fit for sure.....

look at this guy...I have seen some other marines with the same rig configuration ...

post-87246-0-76623500-1426553354.jpg

Well I was thinking about the guy in hue, if you did that you wouldn't be able to carry canteens since I think most would have M56 covers by then and with the older hook covers they would bounce around alot. I guess this was only use for city fighting then?