who can tell.........

empireguns

nope. Actually they were houses of prostitution disguised so they could operate and still advertise. read it again now that you know and it makes more sense.

nope. Actually they were houses of prostitution disguised so they could operate and still advertise. read it again now that you know and it makes more sense.

thats nice, looks similar to one i found one in my grandfathers house... thats a bit disturbing.

I did a quick look-up on Google Earth, definitely a different place now. Except for the "Penthouse Sky Lounge" which, low and behold, is at the same address. :blink:

Salvage Sailor

Actually........Take this at face value as it's on the "up and up". It is a well known custom tailor shop which made USN uniforms to order. There were many of them in Hong Kong and Fenwick Pier (HMS TAMAR) was the fleet landing just opposite the renowned China Fleet Club. The hawker would meet the liberty boats at the landing (if you were moored out in the harbor) or be waiting at the ship's brow on the pier with samples to show. One of the first tasks for Westpac sailors arriving in Hong Kong was to order a custom set of blues which would be ready when the ship pulled anchor a few days later, After the measuring and a stop at the CF Club, then it was off to Wan Chai, Kowloon or elsewhere for booze and broads and perhaps a tattoo.

The older salts aboard would recommend a tailor shop to the first timers and also council them on which to steer clear of. As the card states, there are many copycats with similar names trying to horn in. The tailor shops were completely reliant upon their reputation with the ships companies and the competition was fierce at the Hong Kong landing for the sailors business.

PS - The ship would also get a Mary Sue paint job from the girls in the Sampans which would free up the crew for max liberty - Hong Kong was a great liberty port.

Photo: USS GRASP (ARS-24) tied up at HMS TAMAR, Hong Kong, Westpac 1965 with the China Fleet Club in the background

Photo: Mary Sue girls painting USS PLUCK (MSO-464)

GRASP Signal Bridge Hong Kong 1965.jpg

Mary Sue paint job Hong Kong 1956.jpg

I would agree with Salvage Sailor on this. China cards for such houses are very obvious as there was no need for the propritors to hide what the business went on in them. Almost every China Srapbook I were filled with such cards as well as cards for tailor shops.

Interesting Sailor you called them "Mary Sue" girls. In my earliest pre WWI albums they were "Slop Chute Mary's". Same general functions, similar names

well the sailor who owned them advised they were whore houses, So i figured he knew the difference. In addition why worry about a taxi driver taking you to a different tailor? I'm going with the guy who went there and didnt come out with a suit.

Who knows maybe it was a dual purpose place business up front party in the back, like a mullet!!

This may have been a legit tailor's shop with a side business in the back.

...that being an option, it's true that most cathouse cards were clear in what you were going to get....no reason to mince bad english translations.

In addition why worry about a taxi driver taking you to a different tailor?

going from the standpoint of a business I'd say so you don't give competition buisness

Like I said I'll go with the guy that was there

You can believe whatever you want....but as soon as that card leaves your collection, it becomes nothing more than a tailor shop card.

Try to document the story with the guy, get details about him and his travels, have it witnessed, etc. and keep it with the card.

Salvage Sailor

Every cabbie from Honolulu to Shanghai & Olongapo to Yokosuka knew where to go and the cards were much more direct, no need to disguise a thing.

from my collection

and elsewhere on the forum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/224388-1940s-cathouses-whore-house-business-cards-japan-china-mexico/

Elite Hotel 001a.jpg

Elite Hotel 002a.jpg

Every cabbie from Honolulu to Shanghai & Olongapo to Yokosuka knew where to go and the cards were much more direct, no need to disguise a thing.

from my collection

and elsewhere on the forum

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/224388-1940s-cathouses-whore-house-business-cards-japan-china-mexico/

yeah thats pretty straight forward

There aren't many tailors left in that area, but I will admit I did get three uniforms (two sets of service dress blues and one set of mess dress) tailored nearby...with my wife present. :) Oh, and bought cigars too.

I was the only officer I knew of in the late 1990s who had "liberty cuffs" sewn into my SDB jackets. I also had one lined in gold silk with dragons embroidered in it. Pretty kick rump...

Just sayin'...

As stated, when compared to real cat house cards....the one posted above is clearly a standard USN Tailor Shop card. No ifs, ands, or buts about it....especially since it is a well-known tailor shop from the era.

Philip

The johnny Ford was in the pile may be a good tailor He didnt say anything about that one i assumed it probably wrong., the first one, Johnson is what he says it is as far as i'm concerned he was there we were not.

vintageproductions

Glad you think so, but Johnson's was a tailor shop that was still in business in the late 80's.

I used to travel to Hong Kong three to four times a year, and on one trip I searched for old tailor shops to find insignia. Johnson's had none but they did still have photos of numerous tour jackets they made over the years.

Also, that is a interesting avatar you are using. Do you mind if I ask where you lifted the image from? The reason I ask is I own the original one that was used in the movie and I bought it from one of the lawyers that worked on the Production. It was a gift to her, when the movie wrapped. I'm sure if we look around the forum, we can find where I have posted it.