Bullion Glider Pilot wings

rustywings

WWIIinterviews

Rusty, is this a new aquisition?

3 hours ago, rustywings said:

Very, very similar in design to Mark's two terrific British-made examples posted earlier in this thread, this example on combat-blue background is heavily padded in the center which accentuates a bit more of a three dimensional look...

Bullion Glider Pilot A.jpg

Bullion Glider Pilot D.jpg

Rusty, is this a new acquisition?

Russ, that last wing you posted on the uniform is a spitting image of the two I posted way back when, love the Troop Carrier bullion as well, great uniform,

Mark

On 2/3/2021 at 1:49 PM, WWIIinterviews said:

Rusty, is this a new aquisition?

Rusty, is this a new acquisition?

Hello WWIIinterviews,  

Thank you for sharing images of your nice original bullion Glider Pilot example posted on the previous page. In response to your recent question, no, not a new acquisition... its been in my collection a few years. If you or any of our fellow Forum members have other bullion Glider Pilot examples to share, I'd love to see them! 

Here is what I've collected over the years.  I believe they are all US made.  The two on the upper right came out of a now defunct business in San Francisco called the Lyon Street Tailor Shop.

GP B (2).JPG

GP B (1).JPG

WOW Tonomachi!  What a wide variety of bullion Glider Pilot wings! I very much appreciate your efforts and selfless postings.  I tell you, I'm having a somewhat lustful moment with your apparent "never worn", bright silver bullion wing on green gaberdine with tan garment masking tape applied to the reverse, depicted in the lower right corner of your images!  What a pristine 75+ year old example!  Thank you Sir...

On 2/15/2015 at 2:27 PM, pfrost said:

Something you may not know, but England and Indian textiles are closely intertwined. I believe that much of Indian textiles (including bullion work) was made and traded via the East India Company. Factories in India produced vast quantities of textiles that were sent to England and then beyond, starting during the industrial revolution, but reaching its peak during the post WWI-pre WWII time period.

That is why much of the CBI bullion work is of such high quality. Most of these items were probably mass produced on large looms (they probably have a technical name) huge factories. I suspect that It is even possible that some of the "English-made" bullion items that we see were actually imports from India.

Great wings.

I have a friend who has the machines for making patch's. I asked him about making bullion patch's and he told me the machines can not take the bullion thread to make things like this. His opinion is the are hand made. When you look at the coiled threads that make up bullion threads I have to agree. How is a machine going to run that? When you look at the backs that is not machine stitching.

WWIIinterviews
21 hours ago, rustywings said:

Hello WWIIinterviews,  

Thank you for sharing images of your nice original bullion Glider Pilot example posted on the previous page. In response to your recent question, no, not a new acquisition... its been in my collection a few years. If you or any of our fellow Forum members have other bullion Glider Pilot examples to share, I'd love to see them! 

Hi Rusty, I wish I could take credit for the wings I posted however, they were on a tunic I was looking at buying. Unfortunately, the deal did not happen. I just hope to join this group as a member soon. They are some amazing examples here.

WWIIinterviews

Tonomachi, your glider pilot wing collection must be one  of the best. From previous posts and the photos you just shared, they are an amazing collection of gp wings. Really enjoy seeing these.