Bullion Glider Pilot wings

rustywings

Here's a full size British-made WWII era U.S.A.A.F. Glider Pilot wing on blue backing which might be of interest to some of you. Finding period bullion examples in good condition really stimulates my collecting interests! Please feel free to share images of your bullion Glider Pilot badges on this thread as well...

IMG_6494.JPG

Here's a bullion Glider Pilot example which I believe to be from the CBI theater...and more specifically, from India. It's heavily tarnished, but uniquely made.

IMG_6504.JPG

The reverse is slightly different, with dark blue material covering the stitching. This material may have been black originally, but faded with time?

IMG_6503.JPG

Something you may not know, but England and Indian textiles are closely intertwined. I believe that much of Indian textiles (including bullion work) was made and traded via the East India Company. Factories in India produced vast quantities of textiles that were sent to England and then beyond, starting during the industrial revolution, but reaching its peak during the post WWI-pre WWII time period.

That is why much of the CBI bullion work is of such high quality. Most of these items were probably mass produced on large looms (they probably have a technical name) huge factories. I suspect that It is even possible that some of the "English-made" bullion items that we see were actually imports from India.

Great wings.

Patchcollector

Something you may not know, but England and Indian textiles are closely intertwined. I believe that much of Indian textiles (including bullion work) was made and traded via the East India Company. Factories in India produced vast quantities of textiles that were sent to England and then beyond, starting during the industrial revolution, but reaching its peak during the post WWI-pre WWII time period.

That is why much of the CBI bullion work is of such high quality. Most of these items were probably mass produced on large looms (they probably have a technical name) huge factories. I suspect that It is even possible that some of the "English-made" bullion items that we see were actually imports from India.

Great wings.

Good point."Paki" made insignia is now viewed by many Militaria collectors with derision,and yet they were once part of India until the "partition".

I suspect that more than a few of the great insignia that came out of that part of the world "back in the day" were made by these skilled artisans.

I've also read about English and German Insignia sellers "farming out" some of the bullion work to the Indians.

Nice Wings!

Thank you Patrick and Patchcollector for your shared insight. I appreciate your involvement in this topic.

Here's a bullion Glider Pilot wing on gabardine which is American-made and sewn to a uniform.

IMG_6507.JPG

• 1 month later...

Any other bullion Glider Pilot badge examples out there? Please feel free to share your images here...

• 2 weeks later...

Here are 2 attributed English-made bullion on blue's, the first is on the uniform of a GP who flew Normandy, Holland and Varsity with the 438th TCG. The second is from a vet who flew Normandy as well with the 437th TCG. Hope you like,

Mark

post-527-0-43182500-1427850570.jpg

post-527-0-15249700-1427850579.jpg

Here are 2 attributed English-made bullion on blue's, the first is on the uniform of a GP who flew Normandy, Holland and Varsity with the 438th TCG. The second is from a vet who flew Normandy as well with the 437th TCG. Hope you like,

Mark

attachicon.gifMVC-062S.JPG

attachicon.gifMVC-064S.JPG

Thank you Mark...and thank you John. Those are three very nice Glider Pilot examples!

Has anyone every seen a two-inch shirt size bullion Glider Pilot badge? I have a two-inch CBI made bullion Service Pilot badge, but I've never run across a smaller Glider or Liaison Pilot in bullion?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

English made bullion wings or any insignia they made during WW2 is of high quality and well worth getting for your collection. They are very well made and just have that super look to them.

• 5 years later...
WWIIinterviews

Here is a set of GP bullion wings on a tunic. Unfortunately, I cannot find anything on the original owner.

IMG_5715.jpeg.ddf15278f863c84a1865bc119552508c.jpeg

DSCN8106.jpeg.d11608c60a2b67e177118fea69d6df3a.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Very, very similar in design to Mark's two terrific British-made examples posted earlier in this thread, this example on combat-blue background is heavily padded in the center which accentuates a bit more of a three dimensional look...

Bullion Glider Pilot A.jpg

Bullion Glider Pilot D.jpg