• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WWI Emergency Ration

Recently, I was finally able to secure the final major piece to my WWI collection that I have been searching for. Because this is an item that most people will never get the opportunity to see or touch, I decided to take pictures and post for reference purposes. These rations were developed as an emergency ration in the case a unit was cut off or supplies were not reaching the troops. It is comprised of bread and meat and this sample was made at the Armor Meat factory in Kansas City, ironic that KC is also the home of the WWI museum.

vd1zd4.jpg

21ovxu8.jpg

2q172tg.jpg

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Hawk

THat is cool.Thanks for posting this rare ration.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Very nice! Great piece to add to your collection! A rare bird, indeed!

JAG

Top dollar paid for WWI AEF Tank Corps uniforms, medal groups, equipment and photos,
unit histories and rosters...especially anything associated with

301st (Heavy) Tank Bn
Drop me an email and let me know what you have.

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Excellent find! I would love to find one someday.

-Todd

Currently looking for WWI items, specifically photos of the 116th infantry regiment, and any material related to the USS Olympia.

Always on the lookout for any rations, miscellaneous personal items, pack filler, care package stuffers, knit Red Cross material, and oddball equipment to supplement the Doughboy display.
Have some extras? I help friends fill out their living history kit, and could always use more loaner gear!

There are actually three different models found in WW1. The early pre-war ones are the blue-gray ones that used a fortified chocolate. These were found to go bad quickly and were initially pulled from use, but when Pershing got overseas he demanded emergency rations, and they were sent as a stop gap. Until the 'meat and wheat' ones (as seen above) were developed. From my reading of the development of them, it seems like you can think of 'dried meatloaf' when trying to understand what they were like.

The printed claims were that the process was developed by Armour, who did not want to let anyone else make them, as they wanted to keep the technology for themselves.