USMC Virtual Campaign Library: Dominican Republic 1916 - 1924

teufelhunde.ret

sonofaFlyingDeuce

Thanks again Darrell for the Dominican series of photos, especially #60. That may be the only photo of the man on the right, "J. C. Ariza", that I, or possibly his living heirs, know of. Jose del Carmen Ariza was actually the "Embajador Plenipotenciario" for the Dominican Republic and traveled the world representing his country during that era. He had been "offered" the presidency but declined the "honor" knowing it would possibly shorten his life expectancy so Gen. Vasquez volunteered to be the tuxedoed-target.

I'm glad "Don Jose" opted for a long life as it would possibly have precluded my fate to marry one of his great granddaughters, and for me to become an asterisk (we later later got "un-married") in a legendary Caribbean family.

teufelhunde.ret

Thanks again Darrell for the Dominican series of photos, especially #60. That may be the only photo of the man on the right, "J. C. Ariza", that I, or possibly his living heirs, know of. Jose del Carmen Ariza was actually the "Embajador Plenipotenciario" for the Dominican Republic and traveled the world representing his country during that era. He had been "offered" the presidency but declined the "honor" knowing it would possibly shorten his life expectancy so Gen. Vasquez volunteered to be the tuxedoed-target.

I'm glad "Don Jose" opted for a long life as it would possibly have precluded my fate to marry one of his great granddaughters, and for me to become an asterisk (we later later got "un-married") in a legendary Caribbean family.

Pleased your enjoying this thread!

image.jpg