Is old 30-06 ammo collectable?

reinking71

Have some 30-06 ammo with 1918 and FA 31, FA 34, FA 36 head stamps in 5 round stripper clips. Do these have any value to collectors or should I just shoot it. I know it is corrosive.

Thanks

I have some and even though there is some with split necks on the casings it displays well in belts or in the original bandooleers.I have seen sellers here ask from $5-$12 per stripper clip of 18dated ammo.

Some people like old period correct ammo to complete their webgear sets or displays. I've got some 1917 dated .30 blanks waiting to go in my WWI display (I had originally intended on shooting it years back) and I also have some Korean War dated .30-06 blanks I put in Garand clips to fill my KW cartridge belts. Your WWI .30 would probably shoot ok, but if it were me, I would hang on to it since it's not being made anymore and commercial .30 is not hard to find.

Does that's ammo shoot anymore? I have a lot of WW2 ammo I shoot but I would think bullets of that time frame would have problems. Good for display though.

• 2 weeks later...

It is definitely more collectable than shootable. Those old balloon primers don't hold up well with age, and you never know how it was stored over the years. the possibility of hang-fires and bore rot aren't worth the trouble.

Backtheattack

Rounds might work - shot a lot of wartime 8x57 rounds, but well stored all the years. Remember what Jim16a1 said - it`s not worth any trouble if you don`t know their storage conditions.

I know on WW2 ammo, some of the cases get brittle over time and cause blow outs. I bet it would be the same with older ammo. If you don't know, don't shoot. Not worth injury to self or weapon.

Persian Gulf Command

Here is a related question. Anybody know anyone who will take old war dated (1914-18, 1939-45) brass and insert FMJ bullets without any powder. I think these would be ideal for display without the additional weight and risk of having live rounds for display. I would be a buyer of such "mock-up" rounds for display.

I know that there are bullets your looking for out there for sale, try internet search. They will usually have no primer in the brass either. Just make sure they have head-stamps indicative of WW1 or WW2.

Persian Gulf Command

Thanks Kyle. I'll let members know if I find a source for original wartime brass mocked-up for display.

FYI- I only use 50's-later non-corrosive rounds when I shoot my vintage firearms. I once used some Russian surplus 9mm rounds and all the internals of my pistol were rusted the next morning so it needed an immediate field strip and cleaning/oil job. I would net recommend anyone shoot vintage rounds for multiple reasons.

I shoot some corrosive primer rounds through my M1 but always clean well right afterward. I haven't had a problem yet but shooting non-corrosive will save you time and some headache. The Lake City surplus stuff shoots well. I will not shoot WW1 ammo through any of my guns though for safety reasons posted above, don't know how it was stored.

This is a fairly straightforward DIY project if you've got access to reloading gear. Use an inertial bullet puller to remove the projectiles, dump out the powder, spray WD-40 or oil in the case to kill the primer,

and use a die and press to re-seat the bullet in the case. HTH

Tim

Here is a related question. Anybody know anyone who will take old war dated (1914-18, 1939-45) brass and insert FMJ bullets without any powder. I think these would be ideal for display without the additional weight and risk of having live rounds for display. I would be a buyer of such "mock-up" rounds for display.

Persian Gulf Command

Tim,

That will work, problem is I don't have the reloading gear or the rounds. If anyone is willing to do the work I could use about 100 1941-43 M2 rounds "de-activated" of powder and "killed" primers.

• 7 months later...
philliephanatic

I bought a bunch of WWII dated brass and 30.06 bullets on Ebay back when you could still buy the stuff and had a friend of my dad's reload. That's were I got all my dummy rounds from.