show those makeshift helmet stands

WW2JAKE

Thanks for the compliments Jake, Doug, and Mark. :D

Mark...I picked up the 76mm dummy shell along with several items that had supposedly been brought back from Vietnam by a 101st AB vet. I think that I paid a whopping $5 with the intention of trying to build a helmet stand out of it. Ordnance shells are well outside of my area of collecting so I don't typically pay much attention to them. The antique shop down the street from my work has several earlier brass cased artillary shells for sale, but most start at $20 which makes them unrealistically expensive for using as helmet stands.

The remainder of my displayed helmets are simply laying flat on glass shelving so I hardly use stands anymore. When I had fewer helmets to display I honestly preferred using the wooden black candle holders from Hobby Lobby in the link below (available in three heights...8", 12", & 16"). They are relatively inexpensive if you can catch them on sale for 50% off.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/8-black-wood-pillar-and-taper-candle-holder-717553/

I've got a few replica German potato mashers that I like to use as helmet stands since they fit through the center of the webbing on WWII liners so there's no pressure on the suspension, in this case my reproduction M2 para helmet for living history. I've also got one of the famous Afghan pressure cookers (this one was never used as an IED) that I brought back to use as a stand for my ACH from my most recent deployment.

post-11652-0-03401500-1424495635.jpg

I've got a few replica German potato mashers that I like to use as helmet stands since they fit through the center of the webbing on WWII liners so there's no pressure on the suspension, in this case my reproduction M2 para helmet for living history. I've also got one of the famous Afghan pressure cookers (this one was never used as an IED) that I brought back to use as a stand for my ACH from my most recent deployment.

THAT looks amazing!

Just picked up an older paper towel holder that is going to make a perfect helmet stand. $1.50 at re-store. Its wood with good stain left. Just another idea.

Just picked up an older paper towel holder that is going to make a perfect helmet stand. $1.50 at re-store. Its wood with good stain left. Just another idea.

be sure to share pictures

1966ww2collector

This is one I have posted before. It's an old textile spool and bobbin. I use a rubber band to keep the bobbin from going all of the way into the spool. I have a bunch of different colors of spools. This one is has the green. I have another Navy helmet on a gray spool which looks really good.

post-153641-0-81833100-1424820199.jpg

post-153641-0-69725200-1424820501.jpg

1966ww2collector

This is another type of textile spool that I found at an antique mall. The base doesn't appear to very big but it is very stable. Seems like I picked these up for about $2 each. I do have some M1's on them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some pictures of the paper towel holder that I mentioned above, work pretty slick.

attachicon.gifrsz_img_20150224_175417988_hdr (1).jpgattachicon.gifrsz_img_20150224_175440748_hdr (1).jpgattachicon.gifrsz_img_20150224_175447929_hdr (1).jpg

only thing i worry about is stretching the suspension webbing :( but over all its a good look even if i personally have a love for dark woods ;)

1966ww2collector

Thought I would share. I wanted to show some of my liners with paint and wasn't sure it would work with these wall mounts I had made. It worked well and they are still very stable. You might recognize a few of these from the SOS. It was my first trip and well worth it.

Doug

post-153641-0-96352500-1425739484.jpg

1966ww2collector

I spot a 29ers on the top row. Any history on it?

Dave

It is a 29er but it's questionable. It is a fixed bail with no chin straps. It has a nice salty, named Hawley liner. I had some of the more qualified collectors at SOS look at it. Nothing definitive either way. The liner is really cool. I think a couple of members on the forum have owned it. I see you are a 29er collector. You can PM me if you have an interest in it.

That looks very nice, does a good job of displaying the shell and liner markings. I see a couple of familiar looking lieutenants in there. ;)

1966ww2collector

That looks very nice, does a good job of displaying the shell and liner markings. I see a couple of familiar looking lieutenants in there. ;)

Doesn't it though? Nice to have made some new friends and picked up some new helmets in Kentucky.

1966ww2collector

Sergeant helmet looks good on the wall!

Doesn't it though? Thanks again. Glad the tilt-back on the shells worked. I had my doubts. That helmet wouldn't be the same without being able to show the liner. I really like it.

Doesn't it though? Thanks again. Glad the tilt-back on the shells worked. I had my doubts. That helmet wouldn't be the same without being able to show the liner. I really like it.

it does look good displayed with the liner too