show those makeshift helmet stands

WW2JAKE

1966ww2collector

Bazinga!!!!...i love those wall display helmets!!!!.......mike

Thanks Mike! By the way, I saw a t-shirt at Target that says "Bazinga!" on the front. You should get one for the SOS.

Doug

I like the wall diplay "stands". How about showing a closer shot from the side, without a helmet on it, so we can really see how it is made. Also materials used to make them or are they purchased like that. Thanks

1966ww2collector

I like the wall diplay "stands". How about showing a closer shot from the side, without a helmet on it, so we can really see how it is made. Also materials used to make them or are they purchased like that. Thanks

Will do. I'll take one down tomorrow, disassemble it and take pictures.

That's a great display, thanks for the great ideas on wall hangers. Its a good idea to get them off the ground so that a certain 2 year old doesn't want to use them for a barbie pool.

1966ww2collector

Some more used in groups:

attachicon.gifDSCN3724.JPG

And making a tight area work for more displays:

attachicon.gifDSCN3730.JPG

Seems like I recognize that radioman helmet. If you look closely you will see it on my wall.

Now if I could just take one of those Chaplain ones off of your hands. ;) I've got the perfect spot.

1966ww2collector

That's a great display, thanks for the great ideas on wall hangers. Its a good idea to get them off the ground so that a certain 2 year old doesn't want to use them for a barbie pool.

That crazy Barbie.

Seems like I recognize that radioman helmet. If you look closely you will see it on my wall.

Now if I could just take one of those Chaplain ones off of your hands. ;) I've got the perfect spot.

Oh yeah, that one was in my collection for a couple years, moved it off to Mike H. and I believe he sold it to you making you the proud owner! It's a great helmet but, when new helmets come available, other ones must go. My loss is your gain! One of my Chaplain lids may be going up for sale soon, keep in touch.

1966ww2collector

Here you go. I bought all of this at Home Depot. I liked this shelf bracket because it had the nice white plastic snap on cover which gave it a clean look. The bracket measures 7" x 4.5". The wooden dowel is mounted to the 7" side and the 4.5" is mounted to the wall. The dowel is 1 1/16th" diameter. The white metal tubing is a piece of closet hanging rod that is 1 1/4th" diameter. It was 96" long. I used a 2" x #12 wood screw to attach the dowel to the bracket. I drilled a pilot hole first. You have to make sure that you cut the dowel and metal tube perfectly square or it won't sit correctly. I used a miter box to cut the 90. I cut the metal tube 7" and the wooden dowel 6". I need to leave room for the rubber stool foot to fit down into the tube without hitting the dowel. On some of the helmets I had to untie and then loosely re-tie the string in the liner because it wouldn't fit. It fit 80% of my liners. With a four 48" dowels and two 96" closet rods I was able to make 26 helmet mounts. I think I have about $6 in each one. They took me a couple of hours to make all of them. I think that covers it.

post-153641-0-53740200-1424127128.jpg

post-153641-0-66078100-1424127312.jpgpost-153641-0-59136200-1424127328.jpg

I like those wall mount display stands.

Very cool.

You could just paint the wood dow white and put felt over the top where it touches the helmet liner.

That would make it easier to make and probably take less time.

Just a suggestion, the way you do it is perfectly fine.

1966ww2collector

I like those wall mount display stands.

Very cool.

You could just paint the wood dow white and put felt over the top where it touches the helmet liner.

That would make it easier to make and probably take less time.

Just a suggestion, the way you do it is perfectly fine.

Good idea. It would cut some of the cost out too.

Thank you very much for taking the time to show the construction of the stands. Very nicely done. The only problem that I have is obtaining the parts, I work for Lowes's!!! I dont think I would be able, in good consciousness, purchase items from HD!!! Only kidding!!!

those wall mounts are great, i may have to use it for future helmets, though i wonder about the weight on a portion of wall with no stud?

hope more people show some weird and amazing helmet stands!

1966ww2collector

those wall mounts are great, i may have to use it for future helmets, though i wonder about the weight on a portion of wall with no stud?

hope more people show some weird and amazing helmet stands!

It will work fine. I used 50# screw-in drywall anchors. Most helmets are in the 4 to 5 lbs range.

When I run out of room in my cabinets I will have to go to wall hangers like yours.

This was a very informative thread.

It is good to get ideas on how to display your helmets.

When I run out of room in my cabinets I will have to go to wall hangers like yours.

This was a very informative thread.

It is good to get ideas on how to display your helmets.

i hope more people share theirs, some good ideas out there!

Below are photos of one piece in my collection that is currently being repurposed as a helmet stand. The shell was just modified by adding a wooden lid that was borrowed from a Woodwick candle from Cracker Barrel. The chrome foil Woodwick logo on the lid was removed by lightly sanding and the lid was then stained and refinished with Minwax tung oil finish. I drilled the lid with a spade bit, and added a dowel of the same diameter that was painted with matching Rapco paint.

post-105139-0-10129700-1424314948.jpg

1966ww2collector

Below are photos of one piece in my collection that is currently being repurposed as a helmet stand. The shell was just modified by adding a wooden lid that was borrowed from a Woodwick candle from Cracker Barrel. The chrome foil Woodwick logo on the lid was removed by lightly sanding and the lid was then stained and refinished with Minwax tung oil finish. I drilled the lid with a spade bit, and added a dowel of the same diameter that was painted with matching Rapco paint.

I like it.