Yellow MK2 frag

robinb

im certainly not an expert on them but i personally would be really careful... ive seen alot of live grenades drilled out like dummy grenades but this one hasnt :mellow:

im certainly not an expert on them but i personally would be really careful... ive seen alot of live grenades drilled out like dummy grenades but this one hasnt :mellow:

What do you think I should do? Now you have me worried.

Opinions won't do much good by just looking at it in a picture. I'm pretty sure that's it's OK. I don't hear any ticking.

i meant from people who know more about them, ive heard stories of men bringing them home and they sit live for however long, some arent a problem some go boom when knocked over... but i also know some brought them home and disarmed them, i believe i remember a members story about playing with one amd taking it apart when he was younger which had been disarmed

but i advise the whole gun thing "always assume its loaded"

OK. Enough Tom-foolery. I ALWAYS consider all ordnance live, or in a guns case, loaded. I value my life and have no intention of getting blown up by some old souvenir. The yellow frag in the first post didn't have a fuse in it when my picker found it. That's something that I added from my stash of spare parts.

Good news! It's not live. I pulled the pin and tossed it into my backyard and nothing happened.

Man Robin,

You had everyone going til right there....everyone knows to throw it in your neighbor's yard!! :rolleyes:

Keith

Guy in New Castle DE passed away awhile ago...wife threw all his Army stuff, was a WWII vet, in the trash can....guy came along was picking through it...yup...boom...

glad your neighbor is ok... ; )

In my almost 28 years as an LEO you would be amazed at the number of WWII era grenades we have discovered or have had turned in. I remember when I was a rookie. A lady called HQ and asked "Do you boys get rid of war souvenirs?" The desk Sgt said yes but before he could inquire more of her, she hung up. A short time later, she walked into HQ with a lunch type paper bag containing two very live WWII MKII frags. Im surprised with the amount of live ones we've come across in a small state like DE that someone has been blown up more often. Oh and Phantomfixer, those weren't grenades that the guy was blown up by. They were 40mm grenades from the Vietnam war. Her husband was a Vietnam vet. I remember as we were working that day. There were like 11 or 12 in an ammo box.

LOL glad you set the record straight.....I just remembered grenades... and boom.....So you responded then? or another unit?

what about the grenades in the clam shells, that are dredged up???? ever see those those???

We where able to go out to the firing pit at Ft Miles, Cape Henlopen where they fired ordnance in to a sand pit...can still find all kinds of cool stuff there...nothing explosive though...