Spittin' Kittens Challenge Coin

I picked up an unusual challenge coin at the flea market. It is for the 5th. Flying Training Squadron at Vance AFB in Oklahoma. Their nickname is the "Spittin' Kittens".

If I was going to invent a nickname for my squadron with this emblem I might call it the "Fighting Tom Cats" or something a little more agressive. But since it is a training squadron perhaps "kittens" is appropriate?

Paul

post-2319-0-21095300-1423590562.jpg

The 5th has a long heritage going back to fighters and interceptors and such. Don't remember why they were called kittens though. I was an Assistant Operations Officer in the 5th when they restarted the squadron as a training squadron.

Johnny Signor

Spitten Kittens goes back to WW2 , I knew a Lt.Col who was also an Ace with the unit , here's their patch I made him a leather one of ,bottom right in photo and latter era FIS etc of the same unit

post-2068-0-51163200-1424044493.jpg

post-2068-0-70297700-1424044552.jpg

Johnny Signor

The reason they were called the "spitten kittens " was the original emblem I posted represented a little black kitten and he was "spitten " lightning .....

The emblem design was carried on some of their P-51 C aircraft in a slightly different variation from the patch design .