The WW2 Harbor Net Tender Insignia Types and Origin

ocsfollowme

After several years of searching and waiting for one to fall into my price range (and to be mint around the edges--sewing purposes) I finally added one to my collection (for the 2nd quilt) this week. Any one of the three versions are rare, and you tend to see the black/white West Coast version more often than the others. In the past 6 years of knowing about this West Coast black/white version, I have seen them go from $86.00-900.00 on eBay with the normal price range between $650-800. The last 5 that have sold on eBay have ranged from $386-575 (and a top dealer even had one sell in the high $400s!). Yes, a prominent ASMIC dealer sold one for $86 at an auction on eBay and I forgot about the auction!!! In terms of rarity, I firmly believe that this West Coast B&W insignia should easily command $700-800. I paid $482 for mine, but the market sets the price, and I was glad that I got mine on the low spectrum (and it is mint too).

This thread is meant to be the all encompassing thread for the Harbor Net Tender insignia. There are 3-5x styles of fakes out there, but they are not well done...and they all glow.

Here is what a real one should look like...the key is in the detail. (however, there 2x variations of real West Coast B&W out there and I will post photos of each).

Real A. Loose gauze on back. Very prickly.

post-122868-0-39638100-1423540417.jpg

Here is a comparison between the best fake and real one out there. The fake glows like a nuclear winter on the reverse only. Notice the detail on the original one compared to the fake.

post-122868-0-98438100-1423540588.jpg

Fake version B. Back would glow. Note that there is very little detail in the rope border and the octopus and submarine.

post-122868-0-00774500-1423540739.jpg

The following are from the Pat Daniels Collection. Pat's knowledge with his father states "Also pictured are some neat Harbor Net Tender variations. The standard white on black, the west coast (Tiburon Ca. naval Net Depot) blue and gold on white twill featuring Oscar the Octopus, and the east coast gold on blue twill (Melville RI. Naval Net Depot."

I am not sure what the prices of the other WW2 variations of the Harbor Net Tender command, but I know that they are rarer that the typical B&W version.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have any photographic evidence of a harbor net tender patch being worn? A fellow forum member may have one on a jumper and we are trying to see if anyone has one out there too? If so, please post yours.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe there has been a photo shown in the Trading Post in one of Gary Bana's old articles.

Anyone by any chance have a copy they'd care to post a photo of?

Just curious to see WHERE this patch was worn on the uniform - like a cuff striker?

• 2 months later...

Thoughts on this new variation seen. Seller states that it does not glow.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231789740023?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The seller has been known to have good original items but also pushes fake ones too. What are your thoughts on this one? (new variation seen).

post-122868-0-84459100-1450641443.jpg

It looks more light the yellow blue variation. I am leaning towards that it may be more good rather than bad.

Very informative study on this patch. There was a short article in the Trading Post a number of years back and if my memory serves me the patch in Post #10 was referred to as a "west coast" variety.

• 7 months later...
ocsfollowme

So this popped up on ebay this past week. The seller pulled it from ebay due to some questions about authenticity. I would call this FAKE F (Mimicking Real B, close to Fake C, but still not real). Props to the seller for pulling it (I never contacted the seller).

post-122868-0-46902100-1470412101_thumb.jpg