United Spanish War Veterans Ephemera

SGM (ret.)

As a follow-up to the posts of the USWV medals (membership badges elsewhere in the Veterans Organizations Forum), I would like to add a few pictures of some membership cards and a couple of items of official correspondence. All of these items belonged to Samuel Claude Sessions, a Span-Am War veteran who lived in Columbia, SC. (I have posted information on his service elsewhere in the forums.)

Besides the topics and information contained in the correspondence, I had been interested in the forms of address used thinking that they would be useful as indicators of "official" duties and positions. Unfortunately, it seems that the titles and forms of address were inconsistantly used.

The most common form of address was "comrade." Seems to have been used for everyone in the USWV.

Sam was also addressed as "Commander" and "Adjutant" when he was the commander of the David Dubose Gaillard Camp #4 in Columbia.

First up are rank-and-file membership cards from 1954 and '55. These are printed on thin paper and were obviously intended to last just the year.

Mike

post-626-1216157040.jpg

post-626-1216157070.jpg

Next is the official ID card for the 1956 National Encampment. The red check on the reverse might indicate that the member had voted (the check made by the polling officer).

I suppose that with some imagination, one might interpret that missing corners as further indicators that the member had voted in two run-off elections, as well. Or, maybe he just tore off a corner to pick his teeth with...

This card is printed on heavy yellow card stock, about what a business card might be printed on.

Mike

post-626-1216157360.jpg

The next item is a post card sent soliciting information on USWV members who have died during the last year.

post-626-1216157648.jpg

Here's another similar post card also soliciting information of USWV members who have passed. Note the different forms of address (commander and adjutant). At the times each card was sent, I believe SC Sessions was the camp commander of the DD Gaillard Camp #4.

Mike

post-626-1216157901.jpg

Here is the address portion of the USWV National Newsletter and an envelope which contained an "National Ajutant's" letter . Again note the forms of address: adjutant and comrade. I believe that "SC 4" refers to the camp.

(If anyone is interested, I can post the contents of both of the documents. However, unless someone asks, I'll refrain in order to save the server space.)

Mike

post-626-1216157991.jpg

post-626-1216158181.jpg

Finally, one more un-official item. Here's a newspaper clipping from the grouping dated 1941 which describes the dedication for a Spanish American War Veterans memorial on the state house grounds in Columbia, SC.

It's interesting to note that the veterans paid half (matching funds) for the statue. Once the initial design was unveiled, they decided to increase the size, and had to raise more money.

I have numerous other clippings about USWV activities (mostly about meetings and encampments) from this gentleman's effects (also including several dozen obituaries for local Span-Am War Vets.). The organization did raise money for several patriotic causes, to include buying flags for Boy Scout troops and other civic groups.

Mike

post-626-1216158348.jpg

• 4 years later...

Thought I would bump this older thread up as I recently bumped up the one discussing the related medals that Mike started. Any current interest in this area?

Here's a nice boxed membership medal to a John D. Nelson. Nice to have the matching serial numbered box of issue as well.

post-50776-0-05110200-1362013953.jpg

I also received his visiting card booklet and cards from 1932, '33 and '36 (shown). Pretty nice to have a set of these to go along with the medal.

Tim

post-50776-0-35855300-1362014098.jpg