WWII War Effort: Mirro Aluminum Company - Manitowoc, Wisconsin

A few weeks ago I posted the Hamilton Mfg. Plant in my home town of Two Rivers, Wisconsin and it's contribution to the WWII war effort: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231317-wwii-war-effort-hamilton-manufacturing-two-rivers-wisconsin/

Today, I'm presenting another contributor to the WWII war effort, Mirro Aluminum Company in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. From WWI into the late 50's, Mirro made Mess Kits, Canteens and assorted cookware used by the U.S. militar. Most collectors of canteens and mess kits can find the Mirro or Aluminum Specialty(another Manitowoc company) name stamp on these kits.

Sadly, this is another plant whose hay day is behind them and the last of 7 plants closed nearly 12 years ago and production mover to Brazil. Today, this plant is also in the middle of demolition. I took pictures of the main plant shortly after the process started, these are shown below.

DSCN9108.JPG

DSCN9109.JPG

Man, what a shame. My grandpa has a 1966 Mirrokraft boat. I wouldn't mind finding a Mirro made mess kit or canteen!

If you own anything AGM you own Mirro.

Man, what a shame. My grandpa has a 1966 Mirrokraft boat. I wouldn't mind finding a Mirro made mess kit or canteen!

Yeah, my dad had an ugly aqua colored one also. They were actually a pretty well made boat. Also, thanks topdcnut, you are correct, AGM can be found on many of the early ones made by Mirro.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for saving a bt of history!

Milwaukee & West Allis, had a ton of war plants, (Allis Chalmers, Nordberg, Harnishfager, Internatial Harverster, etc.) 99% are now gone.

You would think I could find a #@$# "E" flag from one of them around here...

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I know what you mean Jerry, can't seem to find an E-flag from these defunct plants here either.

• 4 weeks later...

Great topic and pics.

I find it quite interesting to find out what various plants and places did during WW2. Pretty surprising sometimes.