Can you ID this Gold Aiguillette found on 1950 dated USMC Dress Blues?

tidballman

Hello all,

This past weekend I visited a antique mall that had a 1950 dated USMC dress blue coat. This gold cord was sloppily attached to the coat and looks like it was just thrown on.

Is it in fact a 1950's era USMC Aiguillette?

All I can find are gold one with double braids, not a single braid....and the "pencil" on this one is plain, not adorned with a USMC EGA nor Army Eagle.

Feels like cotton, not nylon nor bullion.

The rank of the coat was Private First Class.

I'd be grateful for any help with the ID of this gold cord.

post-116007-0-98009300-1423506591.jpg

Marine Generals' AIDES wear cord as described, but these are neither Army nor Marine. Looks to me like some sort of civilian band uniform item.

G

teufelhunde.ret

It was used on the Officers Evening Mess Dress and Dress Whites (for Officers "of the staff"). This uniform was used from 1922 thru 1948 at which time the current Evening Mess Dress was introduced. And this was discontinued in favor of the current version.

Here is an example, Gen Clifton Cates

image.jpg

It was used on the Officers Evening Mess Dress and Dress Whites (for Officers "of the staff"). This uniform was used from 1922 thru 1948 at which time the current Evening Mess Dress was introduced. And this was discontinued in favor of the current version.

Here is an example, Gen Clifton Cates

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That one is close...but you will note it has a double "pencil"...this one I have has a single pencil.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Perhaps the one you are showing is missing a pencil? All the images I am coming up with show two being worn. Also, I think the earlier ones usually had more ornate pencils, maybe the one you have has had it replaced with a modern french fourragere pencil?

• 5 years later...

This is one that my father (Col. L.G.Ditta USMC) wore at some point, it was with his things so I assume he wore it. All I remember personally is the more ornate ones he wore, but this matches the one in the original post. I've included shots of his other two.

Ditta_DD_C6406.jpg

Ditta_DD_C6407.jpg

Ditta_DD_C6409.jpg