An example of the Iraq Commitment Medal

mvmhm

Let me open by saying I'm hoping this will not become a medal bashing thread!

During one of my random eBay searches tonight I looked for the Iraq Commitment Medal, and surprisingly, found a dealer with several available...as you know, these haven't been officially issued yet, and the quality of the medal looks like it was made in Iraq (to me, anyway). They're reasonably priced so I got one. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes for the DoD to get them and start issuing them.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-59208000-1423452849.jpg

post-3423-0-20138700-1423452855.jpg

For those not familiar with this:

The Iraq Commitment Medal is a military campaign award that was created on June 11, 2011 by the Government of Iraq. The Iraq Minister of Defense, Dr. Saadoun Al-Dlaimi offered the medal to Veterans of the Iraq War in a letter to the United States Secretary of Defense.[2] As of August 2014 the award has not been approved for wear for United States Iraq Veterans. The Department of Defense made a statement that it is waiting for the initial group of medals to be received from the Government of Iraq.[3] A single award was presented to Vice President Joe Biden on Dec 1st, 2011.[4]

The expected requirements are that one must have served for 30 consecutive days or for 60 non-consecutive days within the borders of Iraq, within its territorial waters, or within its airspace during the period of March 19, 2003 to December 31, 2011. Pilots and aircrew members who flew missions within Iraqi airspace will be credited for one day for each day of air operations. In addition, service members who engaged in combat during an armed engagement or were wounded or injured in the line of duty to a degree which required medical evacuation from Iraq qualify without regard to the number of days of service.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_Commitment_Medal

Um, how did Biden qualify for this medal?

The qualifications for the medal are still being considered. Please note that it says “the expected requirements”. "An example of the medal was presented to Biden by the government of Iraq." This has nothing to do with being awarded the medal.

...Kat

Um, how did Biden qualify for this medal?

Often done, I would think. High government officials get gifts from foreign governments. Given as a sample of what the Iraqi government would like to award US and coalition troops.

Notice in the award announcement that the Iraqi government authorized Allied countries to make the medal themselves....now that's a way to save $$$$

Mark sends

Notice in the award announcement that the Iraqi government authorized Allied countries to make the medal themselves....now that's a way to save $$$$

Mark sends

That's probably the reason this medal may not get awarded/distributed.

Iraq authorized allied nations to produce the medal for two reasons: giving permission to produce an item that was developed in another country (ie copyright permission) and so the medal properties and qualities will meet the requirements necessary for wear. As you may know, most foreign medals do not meet the production standards of US awards (ie. ribbons is too wide or long or made using a different material and pin backing).

Oh I know...I reribboned one of my Nation/Yugoslavia medals myself just to make it match my others....although the French pin-style makes it a lot easier to mount to the backing in a shadow box.

Mark sends

I got the ICM in the mail today and overall, am pretty pleased with it. The "device" on the ribbon isn't metal, but it looks OK I guess. The medal, on the other hand, has some crazy crisp detailing. So, not bad for 14 bucks.

Mark sends

post-3423-0-67039500-1423779345.jpg

post-3423-0-62635900-1423779352.jpg

If I recall correctly, there are two things the government is waiting on with this one. First, the initial awarding is expected to be by the host nation and second, they have to authorize it to their own personnel who took part in the action, not just the foreign forces. I also recall that the wreath is to be a device, not embroidered/screen printed onto the ribbon itself

That said, I think Iraq has far too many problems at the moment to give half a crap about getting this medal out there, at least not until ISIS is handled. That said, I never expect to see this thing become a reality even when ISIS ceases to be a problem

I ended up getting one of these.Medal is heavier than I thought it would be.All in all not a bad medal.I like the saying on the front.A little hard to read with no spacing between words.

It's a lot nicer than it looked in the seller's pics...not sure why they didn't go ahead and make the wreath device from metal, although the foil or whatever it is doesn't look bad. The medal itself certainly has high detailing to it.

...and this is my 5,000th post!

Mark sends

It's a lot nicer than it looked in the seller's pics...not sure why they didn't go ahead and make the wreath device from metal, although the foil or whatever it is doesn't look bad. The medal itself certainly has high detailing to it.

...and this is my 5,000th post!

Mark sends

Mark, Congratulations! LOL!

• 3 years later...

Hello Mark, I am new here but would like to speak with you direct. Is there a way for me to send you my number (privately) ? Thanks much. Steve. MGySgt, USMC (Ret).

Well...three years later and this one still isn't a thing. To repeat my 2015 prediction, this medal will never happen

• 1 year later...

The kickstarter changed the stripes from horizontal to vertical claiming that horizontal stripes are against Mil-Spec...but the USN/USMC PUC is horizontal so........

Army Reserve components overseas training ribbon is horizontal also along with the Navy PUC but there is no medal to either of them

I will say, the kickstarter strike looks way better than the eBay monster that started this thread

Still don't think it will ever happen, even if the kickstarter is successful I think the US won't accept it unless the Iraqis distribute the first batch. And ironically, it won't be to US specs so we would all have to wait for the US strikes to hit the PX shelves before we can wear it.