1920'S- 30' PILOT DROP CATCH

Costa

I added this wing to the collection today. I believe it is a 20's - 30's wing. I did pay for it but, it was the drop in roller lock that caught my eye.

post-73-0-47090700-1423366436.jpg

post-73-0-48418400-1423366534.jpg

Very nice wing! I've always liked the shoulder pattern of these wings. Great price as well, I was surprised to see two of these within the same week as there are usually only a handful listed on ebay every year and yours ending second you got the best deal.

I also believe it was between the wars. There are some of this type in the aircrew rating but they seem later with incised hallmarks. Here are a couple photos of mine and you'll see the aircrew is a very worn pilot die that was remade into an aircrew. The raised sterling is still slightly visible but they also made an incised mark, it's really not a very high quality wing. Cliff has a much nicer aircrew example on Bob's forum but it also has an incised sterling mark so in my opinion would date later than the raised hallmark pilots. Great pickup, congrats!

post-25673-0-93096500-1423373664.jpg

post-25673-0-07866300-1423373684.jpg

Nice addition to your aerial badge collection. It's a very distinguishable and handsome interwar period Pilot wing pattern! I sure wish we could identify who manufactured these beauties?