Munich, Germany

Dachau is nearby....the Feldherrnhalle of course....there's several shops not too far from the Feldhernnhalle....look for signs that say 'Floh" , Flohmarkt" etc. which indicate a flea market going on....there's also a small booklet called "Der Floh" which will list all the flea and collector's markets in the area for the entire month....they cost a couple of Euros.

Mark sends

Keep in mind, if you are looking for WWII German items, they are most likely under the counter or in the back room of the antique shops that you might visit.

Antique book stores might have books and other paper items from the period.

There are such things as military surplus shops in Germany... and sometimes they have US items.

Backtheattack

There is an Army Shop at "Dachauer Straße 24, 80335 München" who had some World War II items. Hermann Historica is a great auctioneer at Munich "Hermann Historica, Linprunstr. 16, 80335 München". And here you can find military items and decorations "Radlsteg 2, 80331 München".

You can catch a walking tour of 3rd Reich sites. There is a travelers information office in the main train station - run by Americans. They can sign you up for the tour and give good local info.

A lot of the Nazi sites are gone now. Braun Haus was just an empty lot when I was there last in 2006. Ehrentempel site right at corner from there. Go to Reich in Ruins web page and view Munich pages for then and now photos.

I was in Munich in January...great city. You'll see a few commemorative plaques here and there on various walls identifying places where Hitler / the Nazis held various rallies, though the famous "Bier Keller" no longer exists. As has already been mentioned, Dachau is an hour or so outside the city. I didn't look for any militaria but I happened upon a small shop near the Hauptbanhof (central station) which had mostly Bundeswehr / NATO surplus stuff. There's the BMW museum...the Olympic Park...good cultural museums. Plenty of places of interest to see.

Thanks for all the tips. Going there later this year and will keep an eye out for WWII, particularly TR, stuff. Wouldn't mind finding one of those old W. German army coats that were trendy here in the 80s. Planning to visit Dachau and drink lots of beer.

If it's beer you want then Munich's annual Oktoberfest is the place to be! However, be aware that the city's population virtually doubles for a few weeks and accommodation is at a premium then...in fact, it's probably pre-booked already!

http://www.oktoberfest.de/en/article/About+the+Oktoberfest/About+the+Oktoberfest/Oktoberfest-Calendar+2015/4162/

Backtheattack

Dont forget the "Deutsches Museum" (german museum, Museumsinsel 1, 80538 München) at the museum isle, and the airforce museum at Oberschleißheim (Effnerstraße 18, 85764 Oberschleißheim) if you are interested in museums. Both have some interesting military items. If you look for military books visit "Buchhandlung Schmidt" at Sauerbruchstraße 10, 81377 München. One of the best shops there.

Don't worry.. they will still have plenty of beer (or wine, if that is your preference).

I know it is a big tourist draw, but I wouldn't recommend Ocktoberfest to anyone who was not already familiar with Germany.

On the other hand, if you are there over a weekend or two, there may be smaller local festivals. Look for Volksmarches... literally "people's walk".

Along with a nice 10K walk through the woods or historic areas, they typically have a beer tent. Good chance to rub shoulders with the locals.

I was there for Oktoberfest 2 years ago.....it was a blast!! Ratskellar (Marienplatz 8) for good food. I looked for militaria while I was there and it was slim to none....maybe better hunting outside the city.

Backtheattack

The shops aren`t big, but there is every saturday a flea market at the former airport at Riem where you can find items. If you want to drink beer - there are so much pubs there. In summertime you can visit a beer-garden, two of the best are the "Waldwirtschaft" and the "Hirschgarten". Each taxi will bring you at this place.

Tip...when you arrive at the Flughafen ( I assume you'll be flying in?) take the train to Munich Hauptbanhof. It's about a 40 minute journey which costs around €10 one-way. A taxi transfer will set you back €40+!

Taxis are a different experience in Europe. Clean and relatively inexpensive.

One thing to keep in mind... it's not like the states where you just hail a passing cab in the middle of the block. In many European cities there are taxi stands, where people line up. Taxis pull up and take whoever is next in line. Much more civilized. Although, if you cut in front of one of these lines, you might start a near riot and the cabby will probably kick you out for jumping the line.

Virtually all of the taxis in Munich are either BMWs or Mercedes, so you're guaranteed a smooth ride! One advantage of taking the train from the airport to the central station is that you'll get the opportunity to admire the lush Bavarian countryside during the journey. When I was there last month it was snow-covered and stunningly beautiful. The taxi (or bus transfer) will take you along the autobahn, a different experience altogether.

• 1 year later...

Just got back from Munich a few weeks ago. Loved it! Lots of history there. As far as militaria goes, there was a HUGE flea market that I saw by the Olympic Stadium on my way to the airport on Saturday. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to stop. I also went to an antique shop a few blocks away from the Marienplatz that had a lot of WWII stuff, but it was way expensive. Probably because of it's close proximity to a tourist area.