Browning Automatic Rifle

dustin

Actually, two of them .. one is one of the rare type, so I am told, bronze colored ones... brand new with BII ... as found in a warehouse at Anniston.. right next to the Indiana Jones box a few years ago... couldn't find the IJ box on subsequent trips.. but you saw the size of that warehouse didn't you!

post-2641-0-53533000-1423519063.jpg

Have you ever come across the BAR that was featured in the US Guns of WWII episode of Tales of the Gun? it had a very unusual belt in the box that was made up of two sections of three pockets each, with a strap rather than a flap, and each half going over a pistol belt for wear. They were for sale from Numrich for a long time. I started a thread on them 3 years ago: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/159701-does-anyone-know-what-this-belt-is-and-where-it-came-from/

Actually, two of them .. one is one of the rare type, so I am told, bronze colored ones... brand new with BII ... as found in a warehouse at Anniston.. right next to the Indiana Jones box a few years ago... couldn't find the IJ box on subsequent trips.. but you saw the size of that warehouse didn't you!

This is one of the coolest things I have ever seen on this forum.

THANK YOU for sharing!!!!

Big Al,

Only in your previous post and the discussion that followed. I think I have seen another discussion regarding one on ebay a while back but nothing official. These boxes both had a standard type of belt and not the one pictured in your previous post.

Regards,

CC

Have you ever come across the BAR that was featured in the US Guns of WWII episode of Tales of the Gun? it had a very unusual belt in the box that was made up of two sections of three pockets each, with a strap rather than a flap, and each half going over a pistol belt for wear. They were for sale from Numrich for a long time. I started a thread on them 3 years ago: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/159701-does-anyone-know-what-this-belt-is-and-where-it-came-from/

If you live long enough you'll see everything! I saw a show years ago on TV 60 minutes? how all of this was saved by the US government for future references and studies. Nice Gov property.

In response to the original post, why would the USAAF invest in developing the BAR as an AA role, if the 1919 LMG was readily available? Having to reload 20rd magazines sounds like a pain in aerial combat, as well as the un-changeable BAR barrels... One would think a aircooled-belt fed LMGs would do much better...

I concur, but the weapon was being developed for antisubmarine use. Planes could not loiter long enough along the coast so the experiment was to use blimps.

In response to the original post, why would the USAAF invest in developing the BAR as an AA role, if the 1919 LMG was readily available? Having to reload 20rd magazines sounds like a pain in aerial combat, as well as the un-changeable BAR barrels... One would think a aircooled-belt fed LMGs would do much better...

First thing, only the Navy operated blimps. Second, at 15.4 pounds unloaded, the BAR was lighter than even the A-N M2 .30 caliber aircraft machine gun (which I believe is what you meant, because the M1919A4 was a ground machine gun, never used as an aircraft gun). So, in a blimp installation, where everything needs to be as light as possible to get maximum performance, it actually makes a lot of sense, especially with the 30-round (estimated from the witness holes) magazine shown at the top of the page.

Somehow I get the feeling armed blimps might not one of the Navy's better ideas. I would not want to be in the blimp when forces on ground start shooting back. These are great photo's. Would love to own one of the BARs. Thanks for posting !

Somehow I get the feeling armed blimps might not one of the Navy's better ideas. I would not want to be in the blimp when forces on ground start shooting back. These are great photo's. Would love to own one of the BARs. Thanks for posting !

US Navy lighter-than-air "Blimps" served throughout WW2 on antisubmarine patrols along the US coast and I would assume that they were armed. They were not used offensively against ground forces as you imply.

I believe some of those blimps were armed and at least one may have killed a U boat with bombs or depth charges.

Bunch of old BARS we got back from CIDG in trade for new M60s.

post-10868-0-38351100-1423983573.jpg

• 2 weeks later...