1941 Life Magazine Color Photos of US Military uniforms

Old Marine

USMC Enlisted Khaki Uniform. Are those brass buttons on the shirt pocket? I have never seen that before, how about you guys?

post-2843-0-17847400-1423327065.jpg

USMC Band Leader. That's lot of gold bullion. He looks like he is wearing a Good Conduct medal, is he an Officer or and Enlisted man?

post-2843-0-26369500-1423327828.jpg

Dennis,

Wonderful photos! Thanks so much for taking the time to post these. I know it was a lot of hard work.

I could be wrong but I wonder if some of these are models and not actual vets. I notice that one who is wearing a USMC officer's uniform looks exactly like the same guy in an enlisted uniform.

Thanks again. Great pictures!

....Kat

Interesting that with the Navy Enlisted, two uniform items were dropped in 1940 (Station specific Cap Ribbon and left facing Rating Badge on left sleeve)

USMC Dress Blues with White Cap. I am pretty sure this is General Holland Smith.

I think you are right. Notice no red trouser stripe for general officers back then.

USMC Staff NCO Dress Blues. I think his ribbons are not in the correct order of precedence, it happens. The Marine Expeditionary Medal, 2nd Nicaragua Campaign and Yangtze Service, I think this Staff Sergeant qualifies as a member of the "Old Breed". I like the Photo.

Yes indeed. The rank is platoon sergeant, staff sergeant would have one tie instead of the rocker.

USMC Band Leader. That's lot of gold bullion. He looks like he is wearing a Good Conduct medal, is he an Officer or and Enlisted man?

I believe it's William F. Santelmann, whose father was also USMC Band Leader. He's an officer, the braid on the cuffs is for the rank of captain and you can just barely see the captain bars on the shoulder knots. Back then the Leader was the only commissioned officer in the USMC Band, and they were selected from the enlisted members. The Second Leader was a warrant officer.

It's great to have those all together. Thanks for taking the time,

Justin B.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What's up with the khaki Marine's tie? Is it square cut on then end or are my eyes foolin' me? Never seen one like that. Or does he have it tucked in?

That is a great link, it's nice to see the photos in context with the article. I have never seen the printed article, thanks for posting the link.

agate hunter

Great photos of some great uniforms. Things back then were quality. And great to see Coast Artillery uniforms in this series. Thanks for posting on here.

Robswashashore

Army Enlisted Dress uniform

Is it me or is the Army Sgt. in Post 11 wearing a USMC marksmanship badge? Or did the Army put the q bars on top at one time?

Beautiful photos. Thank you for posting!

Jean