Reference Books and Dealers for War Posters?

Gator

I think this is the best place to post this question. If not, mods, please feel free to relocate.

My question(s) is can anyone recommend any good reference books on War Recruitment/Propaganda posters and any good reputable dealers?

Thanks

Mark

Mark,

I had a really great shopping experience from this website: http://www.rare-posters.com/

The gentleman that runs it is Gary Borkan. I gave him a request for a specific Quartermaster recruiting poster from WWI, and though it took a year, he responded back to me and sold me a genuine piece of history for what I thought was a fair price. You may wish to contact him and ask him for what you want, and perhaps he could tell you the best research information.

Happy hunting!

I have one reference book titled "American Posters of World War 1" by George Theofiles. Published in 1973 by Dafran House Publishers Inc. Library of Congress 73-87898.

Basically it's a picture and price guide but also lists the sizes that each poster was originally printed on---important info for evaluating the originality of a given poster. Long out of print, a copy might still be found with a bit of searching. Good luck!

post-2137-0-57316200-1423316635.jpg

The aforementioned Gary Borkan has also written a book:

http://www.amazon.com/World-Posters-Schiffer-Collectors-Price/dp/0764315161

Also

www.dpvintageposters.com - nice range. low to mid

some rare ones

www.internationalposter.com. Mid to high end

For high end:

http://www.swanngalleries.com

All reputable dealers online.

Guys

Thanks for all of the leads and references. Not sure if I am going to dive into posters or not. If I do it wont be to deep as the waters ($$$$) are deep :o

Mark

Posters are what I first collected, and with some patience you can build a decent collection without breaking the bank, especially because of how depressed the poster market is right now (for mostly low to mid-range pieces -- rare ones still hold good value). Handle some pieces in person, learn the look and subtleties of old school lithography on paper, and have fun with the hunt. All the dealers mentioned have 100% original items and you can't go wrong buying from them, but I always enjoyed looking for originals at flea markets and antique stores, and I learned what to look out for in terms of knowing if one was original or a reprint. I've managed to find some real nice pieces at a fraction of the retail price, but I still check the dealers' sites and reading the books to keep learning about what's out there.

jguy1986,

I appreciate the comments and insight. I'm doing all my due diligence up front and taking my time. I will say that my interest in these is towards those relating to the Marine Corp which appears to be the most $$$$

Mark

Posters are what I first collected, and with some patience you can build a decent collection without breaking the bank, especially because of how depressed the poster market is right now (for mostly low to mid-range pieces -- rare ones still hold good value). Handle some pieces in person, learn the look and subtleties of old school lithography on paper, and have fun with the hunt. All the dealers mentioned have 100% original items and you can't go wrong buying from them, but I always enjoyed looking for originals at flea markets and antique stores, and I learned what to look out for in terms of knowing if one was original or a reprint. I've managed to find some real nice pieces at a fraction of the retail price, but I still check the dealers' sites and reading the books to keep learning about what's out there.

Well said......right on the mark. Personally, I'd troll the ' Bay on a regular basis. that's where you have the potential of finding the deals. The brick and mortar guys are great, but you'll be paying top dollar. Right now it's a buyers market and as other "posters" have stated there are deals on your run of the mill subjects. Anything unusual like USMC, and aviation related will still fetch big bucks, but nothing like 10-years ago. I've seen the Iwo flag raising poster (1/2-sheet) sell lately for around $150 this is half of what it used to go for. I use the brick and mortar guys web sites all the time for reference. Hope this helps as well as the other postings.

If you ever have questions regarding any poster you can always ask one of us.

If anybody is looking for these strictly for decorating your walls, there are plenty of low cost modern reproductions out there. eBay has plenty of them.

Many of the WWI posters just seem to be brighter and more graphic than their WWII counterparts.