Tobacco Pipes in the Military

SergeantMajorGray

I am acquainted with this chap; I see him regularly at events in the northeast USA. Quite an odd fellow, but he always plays the part 100% when he is at events.

I don't smoke, but I always envy the cool accessories that can be had with pipes.

Is he actually British? the one page I found it some how indicates this.

Also, I would like to ask again if we can possibly move this to the field and personal gear section so it can be seen by more members and possibly have more members post in this thread. Also pipes are personal gear so it would fit in there.

I have quite a few in my Alaskan albums. The first three of these are from the Aleutians. The last one is from Whitehorse on the Alcan

post-2011-0-80143700-1444887326.jpg

post-2011-0-61660800-1444887388.jpg

post-2011-0-08808600-1444887404.jpg

post-2011-0-81771100-1444887416.jpg

post-34986-0-08761600-1445133519.jpg

A Lt Webb, 25th Inf Div Artillery Officer Korea 1953 puffs on his pipe while doing paper work. Of note M51 field pants in evidence, modified HBT shirt with the pencil/pen pocket on the sleeve and the shoulder loops, and the use of a cloth (no doubt those ones on Khaki Twill or OD HBT) Crossed Cannons Officers patch that has had it's backing cloth trimmed away to just the cannons it self mimicking the metal version.

The following photos are from a site dedicated to Joe Pagac who was a Paramarine during WW2. There are many photos on the site of his time in the Marines but these are the ones that had pipes in them and there were a good amount of them. I'll post the link to the site also, some of the photos I had to resize so on the site their much bigger. The first one is of Joe Pagac on Tarawa in November 1944.

http://www.jpagac.com/joepagac1.htm

post-104203-0-67129300-1445147355.jpg

post-2011-0-61660800-1444887388.jpg

That's a interesting jacket notinfringed, Air Corps we take it, know any more about it?

The album was from a member of the 11th Air Force on the Aleutian islands. I believe he was with the 896th Engineer Avn Co. They were stationed on Umnak and then later on Attu. I don't know anything about the jacket. I always assumed it was a civilian jacket, possibly a sports jacket or union jacket? I think the mark below the prop inside the 8 looks like a bowling pin. I suppose it could be a bomb, but who knows. The patch on the left breast isn't much clearer in the original, so it isn't much help. That's about all I know about it.

Levi

The album was from a member of the 11th Air Force on the Aleutian islands. I believe he was with the 896th Engineer Avn Co. They were stationed on Umnak and then later on Attu. I don't know anything about the jacket. I always assumed it was a civilian jacket, possibly a sports jacket or union jacket? I think the mark below the prop inside the 8 looks like a bowling pin. I suppose it could be a bomb, but who knows. The patch on the left breast isn't much clearer in the original, so it isn't much help. That's about all I know about it.

Levi

Thanks guy, that Bowling Pin would in fact be a bomb either in bomb sight or a depicted as hands of a clock, 12:00.

• 2 weeks later...

Some more

SSgt Hallman

attachicon.gifsherwoord_at_FtMclellan.jpg

An unknown american soldier early in the war

attachicon.gifsoldier-pipe2.jpg

German FJ - Deleted - Non US image

attachicon.giftumblr_menmwvwRqQ1rpl538o1_500.jpg

post-151093-0-15709900-1423254755.jpg

That bottom Air Corps officer is on Boyd D. Wagner, War Hero, Philippines 1941-42, New Guinea 1942.

post-34986-0-79235100-1446259202.jpg

Here's another photo of him with his pipe, damn tragedy, he survived the the early PI campaign and was evacutated to Austrailia where he seen action in the early New Guinea Campaign, and then went home, he went missing on a Training Flight in Florida.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyd_Wagner

• 2 weeks later...