Rod bayonet 1903 Springfield

White Walker

No, I sure don't. However it wouldn't be too difficult to load some up. This rifle having a Case Hardened receiver wouldn't have a problem with the pressure created by the 30-03, provided that the ammunition was new and sound. I really haven't fired any of my current 1903's yet. Don't know why. I guess I've just lost interest.

I posted a clip and recreation of a .30-03 bandoleer here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/208038-cloth-30-army-bandoleers-1903-1910/?p=1631982

I need to make some corrections on the first .30-06 bandoleer (font is incorrect).

RC

Wow, that's VERY Interesting! Thanks for posting RC!

Fred

That's interesting. I've never been there, however my wife and I are planning to when we visit overseas. As an archaeologist, I got to know a man who had fought there as a 12th Panzer officer in 1944. He had some stories to tell. He spent his last years manufacturing furniture in his little business down in Southern Belize, Central America.

Here are the initials of stock sub inspector R.D.Roper, under the wrist of the rifle. This same stamp can be found on the wrists of some late 45-70 Springfield rifles.

post-157515-0-35920800-1424054832.jpg

Lets see if I can make that photo bigger...

The inspector, R. D. Roper, no doubt also put his initials on Krags as well as on Trapdoor Springfield's and Rod Bayonet 1903's This stock, being intended as a Field Replacement, didn't have the firing proof P within a circle or the inspectors cartouche stamped onto it. I'll bet that the vast majority of such unused field replacement stocks for the Rod Bayonet 1903 Springfield's were altered to the later 1905 and 1906 pattern. Needless to say, spare1903 Rod Bayonet stocks must be extremely rare today.

post-157515-0-97348800-1424132828.jpg

All beauties, and the Rod Bayonet '03 is the stuff dreams are made of. A collection all in itself....love the pics, thanks for posting...!

It's the same type of mechanism as on the 1888 Rod Bayonet Trapdoor Springfield rifle. A leaf spring tensioned collar that retracts back from the groove in the bayonet when it's pushed in. The collar fits snuggly into either of the two grooves on the bayonet.

Here is a look into the bayonet channel. you an see the steel collar just inside. The release button is on top. The collar fits into either of the two grooves of the bayonet, allowing it to locking into the Retracted position or into the Extended position.

Something interesting, one can pull the bayonet out from the channel completely, turn it around 180 degrees and insert it back into the channel again so that the flat base is now out at the end in the extended position where the bayonet can lock into place again with the Flat end exposed for bayonet sparring. I don't know... just an observation.

post-157515-0-51267600-1424224821.jpg

post-157515-0-71143000-1424224905.jpg

• 3 weeks later...