Fort Ticonderoga

kilgarvan

I know most lads here focus on more recent wars / collecting BUT a visit to Fort Ticonderoga is a must. I am a very experienced reenactor of the French and Indian War and American Revolution. There is no better place to experience the 18th century in terms of Military History. The museum and collection is outstanding. From one of the best collections of powder horns to ORIGINAL 18th century uniforms they have it all. Can you say muskets and swords! Amazing. My favorite artifact is none other than Robert Rogers himself, HIS powder horn. If your not familiar with the Major and his rangers...they are considered the birth of the US Army Ranger. Epic and legendary exploits in the North Woods as they became distinctly an American fighting force attached to the British Army in the 1750's. As a educator, military historian, and reenactor I spend a LOT of time at the Fort. I know personally the executive director and director of interpretation. Great people! Highly recommended!

http://www.fortticonderoga.org/

I will be depicting one of Rogers Rangers at the Battle on Snowshoes in a few weeks. Camping in the Adirondacks in the snow!! Can't wait:

http://www.fortticonderoga.org/education/reenactors/snowshoes/rangers

Thanks!

I spent 12 summers on Lake George and at the fort back in late 40s and the 50s, they use to sell Military uniform post cards at 25 cents a sent US, British French

and hessians, they are still sort after,just my 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from that area.

My mom told me of school trips to Lake George when she was going to St Mary's in Glens Falls. Fort William Henry wasn't rebuilt then; just a depression in the ground. She remembers the class clown knocking on the statue of Isaac Jogues and finding out it was hollow.

And if you're looking for info on the Rangers, check out Rogers Island in Fort Edward.