17th Airborne Officer's Jacket - Put Together ?

Wedgehead30

I was going through my uniforms and ran across this jacket and hat. It was part of a small collection that I bought over the summer and had completely forgot about it. The more I look at it the more I think it was put together. I can't nail down the oval and it looks post war. A buddy of mine suggested that the officer in question just used it because it was infantry blue. It does have a laundry mark, H8574. Unfortunately I come up with 86 names when I search that number.

I've listed it in my ebay store as a possible fantasy piece. We'll see what happens.

I'd be interested in any thoughts.

Thanks,

Scott

post-124172-0-01961600-1423162118.jpg

post-124172-0-16998300-1423162119.jpg

I find it odd that the uniform has WW1 service stripes but no WW1 Victory Medal and that he is only a 2LT.

Yeah, that was another head scratcher. Almost like someone just put on all the shiney stuff they could find without knowing what they were.

Notice the 101st Officers Tunic presently on Ebay with the collar disks on it as well.....

And to be clear, it is NOT mine.

Well Scott, out of those 86 hits you have how many were eligible for WWI service? If none it would put another nail in that uneasy feeling.

Mike

Well Scott, out of those 86 hits you have how many were eligible for WWI service? If none it would put another nail in that uneasy feeling.

Mike

I saw two possibles. Heiskill, Bud born in 1901. Could have enlisted at 17 years old but unlikely to have seen a year overseas. The other is: Harrison, Roy A born in 1900. Possible that he could have seen a year service during WW1 but would have also had to have enlisted at 17.

Mike

Good point, I was focused on WW2 service. Thanks

I don't like it whatsoever. First of all, I am very suspicious of a summer weight Ike with a 17th patch on it. European theater would never have had these. The background oval is post WWII all of the way. I would even venture to guess that it is a repro. See photo. Check the clutches to see if they are smooth. If not, another alarm bell.

My gut feeling is that this is a jacket that simply had original and later era insignia added.

-Ski

post-3043-0-68441100-1423167359.jpg

I decided to pull it from my store. Even though I listed it as most likely a fantasy piece I'm just not comfortable with it. It's only worth the sum of it's parts as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the opinions guys,

Scott

blitzkrieg gsd

If you really want to sell it put it in the for sale section here. Just list it as a put together piece the way you got it. Someone may want it to use for a project or the parts on it.

I'd part it out...the insignia is nice and khaki custom officer Ikes are pretty desirable in and of themselves.

Yeah, that's what I'm gonna due. It's worth more as parts.

Just as an aside, the 2Lt bar is on the wrong side of the overseas cap.

I just left it the way I got it. It's funny, this time last year I would have sold a hat like that within two days of posting it. But right now I can't give them away.