what is it? Bendix Aviation corp Eclipse-Pioneer division AV32-D2

WW2JAKE

so this has been in our backyard before I was even a thought lol I never payed much attention to it but after asking my dad for years he'd tell me someone put it in his truck and he never wanted it. but recently said "it's some kind of military Aircraft generator" after some searching i found it's for a B-29 super-fortress. i looked at any info plates i could read and took pictures. Anyone have a clue what the heck this thing is? i believe its missing some stuff and the frame is not original

post-125364-0-30580100-1423011377.jpgpost-125364-0-90340200-1423011378.jpg

Here's what it looked like complete and working

The APU was essential for ground operations of the B-29.

Tom Bowers

so what exactly does it do?

basically it generates electricity to power aircraft systems in the ground environment. Often there is insufficient battery power generated by engines at idle, to power essential systems. On the B-29 the APU is a checklist item which is essential to power many things but especially the auxiliary hydraulic pumps that power the brakes on the ground. The APU would be started before aircraft engine start and would be shut off once at cruise. A crewman was detailed to stand by the APU and operate it. It was also started prior to landing and powered the hydraulic backup systems. The APU shown in the video is installed on the B-29 "Doc" being restored to fly in Seattle

Tom Bowers

basically it generates electricity to power aircraft systems in the ground environment. Often there is insufficient battery power generated by engines at idle, to power essential systems. On the B-29 the APU is a checklist item which is essential to power many things but especially the auxiliary hydraulic pumps that power the brakes on the ground. The APU would be started before aircraft engine start and would be shut off once at cruise. A crewman was detailed to stand by the APU and operate it. It was also started prior to landing and powered the hydraulic backup systems. The APU shown in the video is installed on the B-29 "Doc" being restored to fly in Seattle

Tom Bowers

and this is the thing that caused the firey death of the Kee bird?

I'm not saying that this type of APU wasn't used in B-29s, but the part number and contract on your item's data plate are both U.S. Navy, so maybe this example was used in a four engine Navy aircraft?

I'm not saying that this type of APU wasn't used in B-29s, but the part number and contract on your item's data plate are both U.S. Navy, so maybe this example was used in a four engine Navy aircraft?

you're probably right, i didnt do extensive research into it but when i looked it up using the data plates info it came up with the B-29 so i assumed it was. more research would need to be done to know for sure i guess, but im not big into navy aviation. but i understand they used the B-29A as well as four B-29-BWs so this may very well be from a Navy B-29

That would be a neat restoration project

yeah but I'd imagine parts would be a tough find and expensive

This same basic type of APU did see use in many different aircraft in WWII. And the APU is what did in Kee Bird. It had to be running as they did the taxi test, or else there wouldn't have been any brakes.

Tom Bowers

• 6 years later...
Mark V Diver

I have been reading quite a few of the posts here. About a year ago the elderly neighbor across the street son hauled a generator out to the curb on trash day. The garbage men refused to pick it up due to fact it had a fuel tank and oil in the engine. I asked if I could have it and she was happy to get rid of it. Some of my observations and fumbling around with it, appearances are of a military nature. Now that I'm retired I have time to fool with this generator. It's powered by a V-twin engine with push rods, two separate carburetors, oil pressure gauge, hour run meter, enclosed spark plug keepers, an enclosed fan housing with an air tube over the top of the engine to the armature on the generator. All of this sits on a cradle, some tubular, (top side) some channel frame (bottom side) It appears that someone in the past has installed cheep lawn mower wheels under the engine side of the frame and swivel casters under the generator side of the frame. Most of the nomenclature tags have been removed. The one nomenclature tag I have been able to clean up and read  "Bendix Aviation Corporation" Eclipse-Pioneer Division AAF type no P-2 There is a MFRS DWG no. Serial No.  Weight of the Unit was rather scratched so I'm guessing 56 1/2 lbs. order no  28.5 volts.

Again this generator has been modified some time in the past. Connected to the generator is a JOLECO Corporation Heated suit Rheostat. Air Force / U S Army, with two 24 volt outlets and  a couple of female welding lead lugs. I'm a Ex-Navy shipfitter, Pipe fitting, plumbing, fire fighting , tin knocker, damage control, and have welding experience. By appearances ... I am of the opinion that this generator has been converted to a crude portable welding generator for shielded arc welding. I do see a rather large coil in line with the outlet side of what I think is the grounded side of the cobbled welder generator. ( don't know for sure)

Initially I thought this might have been a APU for fueling and aviation ground crews. After finding the two large brass lugs and rheostat. I have changed my opinion.

I don't want to throw it out. From what little I can find on the internet this was a n Aux. Power Unit in aircraft APU for WW 2 aircraft as is the 24 volt Rheostat for suit heater.

I am looking across the internet for information regarding this engine, I want to get it running. I Need to have engine revolutions before I can check the generator and all the cobbled electrical output. If any one on this blog could steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...

After stumbling around the internet. I have come across what I have been given. This is an Andover V-32 coupled to a Bendix Aviation P-2  28.5 volt generator. The hour meter has (2) two hours on it. Not sure if it is the actual hours. Or hours after rebuild. I checked the oil dipstick and it appears to be fresh oil. There is a tag attached to the engine that states the intake and exhaust are plugged for storage. Out side of dust and a little grime the unit appears to be in relatively good shape. It "does not" have a recoil type pull starter.

I see four lugs on the generator housing. The two large lugs are attached to the make shift welder set up. I am wondering if the two smaller lugs could be attached to 12 or 24 volts to excite the field and turn the engine over. I find little to nothing on the internet other than information from people such as your self.

I shall confine to tinker with this set up and search for additional information on adjusting valves and starting sequence.