USN N.S. Meyer Meyer Metal Gold Balloon half-wings...

rustywings

I'd like to share a few images of a Meyer hallmarked USN Balloon half-wing which I'm confident is authentic...but will certainly listen to all opinions.

IMG_6488.JPG

There's an incised Meyer's shield hallmark near the tip of the wing...and an incised "MEYER-METAL" hallmark midway between the hinge and open catch.

IMG_6484.JPG

Since it came from a new/old stockpile, it has never been worn. So it's somewhat shinny and difficult to photograph. Here's another reverse image:

IMG_6485.JPG

Nice one! Any more in that stockpile?

Hey Paul,

I purchased this badge years ago from a family member who's father owned an Army/Navy supply store in San Diego during the 1930's and 40's. As you can imagine, the rare wings sold very quickly.

Russ

Wow, this came out of the Wosk collection? By the time I got to it the best things I got were some early Navy pilots and the three Navy post-WW2 wings that are coveted (tactical observer, navigator, radio op). They didn't have any of this good stuff when I finally got on the gravy train. But man were those some wacky deals to buy what I wanted. I ended up with more paratrooper wings and sweetheart items than I knew what to do with.

Looks ok to me! Very nice wing!

I think it's a die-struck half wing: if you look, Meyer shield and "Meyer Metal" logo are both on the same (and only) wing.

A Meyer Metal Naval Aviator wing having the left wing cut off, would be without one of these hallmarks.

post-104661-0-61173000-1423038710.jpg

Looks ok to me! Very nice wing!

I think it's a die-struck half wing: if you look, Meyer shield and "Meyer Metal" logo are both on the same (and only) wing.

A Meyer Metal Naval Aviator wing having the left wing cut off, would be without one of these hallmarks.

That's a good point Tomcatter. Thank you...

• 3 weeks later...