Women's flight jackets

vintageproductions

vintageproductions

I am currently working on a large article for a Japanese militaria magazine, and had these out to photograph for the article.

Didn't see any shown here so thought I should post them..

b16.jpg

WWII WASP B-16 flight jacket

b17.jpg

WWII B-17 Flight Nurse Jacket

b17b.jpg

1950's Nylon B-17B Flight Nurse Jacket

vintageproductions

Yes, all the tags refer to being worn by women.

After I get the article done, I will post some of the tags.

Bob,

Thanks so much! I find it very interesting that the WASP jacket says WASP on the tag. I didn't know that! I knew about the flight nurses but not the WASP. Great stuff!

...Kat

vintageproductions

Kat- The B-16 are super rare, and I personally believe, the hardest to find of all WWII flight jackets.

In all the years of collecting and dealing in flight jacket, I have only owned two pieces. The B-17 I've probably had twenty-five pieces.

• 7 years later...

As stated in my post on the B-16 flight jacket TWU has nothing in the archives to authinticate the B-16 as being associated with the WASP program. Nothing in the written archives, nothing in the photographic archives and nothing in the artifacts on hand. This jacket only has Sweetings book as "evidence" and even this is scant at best. There is an ongoing search for any evidence that proves this jacket is indeed a WASP related item.

Interesting.  B-17 and B-16 are consecutive specification numbers and order numbers between, both with 8300 stock numbers, with both being AF orders, with AN inspector stamps, and then the differences in labels and the rest. A-13's got the woven label as well while the A-12 didn't.

Once again the "Flying Nurses" and the male flyers gave the shaft to the WASP equipment!

Hadn't quite noticed those non-QM B-16 numbers before.