Vietnam era Schlitz beer case

oldabewla

I just purchased this online. I like military issued beer item even though I really don't collect them. This is a 4 six pack beer case ( for Military use ) from the Vietnam era. The cans have never been filled with beer and the case and cans was purchased out of the Milwaukee area. I wonder if it was a employee bring home? No tax exempt markings?

post-7997-0-54458500-1422938433.jpg

Nice find!

The cans might have been empty and kept for the beer can collecting craze of decades past. Whatever the case (no pun intended!) it sure is a nice set!

RC

Craig

I'm sure you could probably date this pretty close as the box states it has a new soft top aluminum can.Finding when they came out with that can would date it really close. Seeing that these were never filled I wonder if it was more of a production test work if something that was kept by the company who made the cans or buy the beer company itself as a display item for the products they were producing. Also see that they are a 16 ounce can which again you could possibly find out when the company introduced these and begin production.

Great photos of beer drinking in Vietnam !!! I notice that the can is up side down, I think this is the same cans as I researched that the pull tab came out after this style church key opening as it was needed to open the can as they made them from 1960-65 but stuff stayed in the system after that.

Here is photos of the cans that came with the case notice that the bottom was never been added to them also the tops are unpunched with the church key. There was a WWII beer case that sold on here a few weeks ago for $200 that was very cool as well.

Thanks guys for great comments, beer has always played a part in the war effort and I'm sure the GI's were glad it was there.

post-7997-0-80471700-1423014105.jpg

post-7997-0-02816800-1423014140.jpg

Great photos of beer drinking in Vietnam !!! I notice that the can is up side down, I think this is the same cans as I researched that the pull tab came out after this style church key opening as it was needed to open the can as they made them from 1960-65 but stuff stayed in the system after that.

i have a picture of my grandpa drinking an upside down beer in 1950 at a Army party, older style can but ive always found the upside down cans strange

thefallenbuddha

That is a really great find!

I collect military issue breweriana, so I think that is a great item!

"Aluminum soft top" type cans date to the early `60s.

That is a really great find!

I collect military issue breweriana, so I think that is a great item!

"Aluminum soft top" type cans date to the early `60s.

Thefallenbuddha,

You should post some of your military issued beer items, it would be great to see!

thefallenbuddha

I'd be very happy to do so, and will plan to in the future when I have the chance. Unfortunately, all of my collection is currently in storage in California, which makes it difficult to capture photos of it from Japan....So, for now I am just a voyeur for the collections of others!