3rd Army bullion and a question.

warcollect1942

warcollect1942

Do they make bullion reproductions? I was bidding on bullion patch and it looked

like it was made yesterday. It was on this forum a few days later. The next day

another was on ebay identical.

post-28946-0-29291100-1422918334.jpg

post-28946-0-01914100-1422918360.jpg

They certainly do make bullion fakes. But, all 6 of those you pictured are fine. There were lots of German-made bullion 3rd Army made. It's actually a rather common patch and you will encounter lots of them.

501stGeronimo

Fake artist tend to fake more desirable patches

-Dave

Wouldn't say that. Seen many of common patches that were repro that no one would think wold be reproduced.

The patch I was referring to is extremely rare. Not the 3rd army.

I collect lot of Patton's things.

So, what patch are we talking about???

Garth Thompson

There are reproduction bullion patches made today but you need to remember soldiers and sailors bought bullion and theater made patches where they served but often never used them on a uniform, brought them home and they were stored away. So it is very likely to find an unused bullion patch in excellent condition that is genuine.

Garth

The patch I was referring to is extremely rare. Not the 3rd army.

I collect lot of Patton's things.

If you were not talking about the 3rd Army, why did you ask about it? What is this "extremely rare" patch?

warcollect1942

The patch is a bullion railsplitter. I did not want to offend the owner.

I ask about reproduction bullion not 3rd army.

Your title to this thread says 3rd Army Bullion and a Question, thus everyone thought that was what you were asking. Anyway, yes bullion patches are still made today and No a railsplitter patch is not extremely rare. We would need pictures to say for sure if it is an original or reproduction.

warcollect1942

It looked like this only bullion and brand new. It was too good to be true.

Two of the in less than four days was not believable. With attached tab.

post-28946-0-58962600-1422945692.jpg

post-28946-0-65432200-1422945719.jpg

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't recall seeing a fake bullion rail splitter. However, on a regular basis, I do see MINT bullion German-mades on Ebay. There's a very strong chance the one you saw is original. Not "very rare", but still a nice patch in the $200 + range.

doinworkinvans

Youre not going to offend anyone here by posting a picture of the item in question. In fact, it would most likely help others who are struggling with the same question you have. And if it is determined a fake item, the it will help others avoid a sad fate and hopefully stay away from bad sellers on ebay. Maybe post a picture of the exact item in question and all the patch experts can weigh in! B)

Patchcollector

I've seen many authentic theatre made bullion pieces that are in great shape.Most of them are very well made so they hold up rather well,unless the moths get to them!

The 3rd Army bullion I have was worn by my dad during the Nuremburg Trials is a little less than pristine. Lucky to have it along with a green back 1st division patch he wore.

Here's a similar, really new-ish looking bullion 84th patch. However, it is a German made one that was never worn and probably kept in an album or in a box somewhere...

2-3-2015 6-28-26 AM.jpg

2-3-2015 6-28-51 AM.jpg

Patchcollector

Here's a similar, really new-ish looking bullion 84th patch. However, it is a German made one that was never worn and probably kept in an album or in a box somewhere...

Beautiful piece.Hard to upgrade that one!

warcollect1942

My question was do they make reproduction bullion. Thank you for the answer.

The 84th bullion that is shown is from worldwarpatches. I trust him comlpletely. I have probably

spent $5000.00 with him. There is a short list of people I trust like that.

My question was do they make reproduction bullion. Thank you for the answer.

Short answer: Yes, if it's worth a significant amount of money, it's worth reproducing. So,yes, they do make fake bullion patches. MOST of them are easy to tell apart from the real ones though - but not all the time.