Vietnam SF dog tag

bellasilva

Just purchased this after getting a hit on an obituary, stating that he served in Vietnam with Army SF. I'd like to eventually match the service number but with a year of birth being 1946 on an early Vietnam war dog tag with a pre-69/70 service number, and no other matches to the name, I'm quite confident this is his. Now begins the research, it'll be interesting to see what he was up to over there.

post-104906-0-48375900-1422917658.jpg

post-104906-0-11951100-1422917711.jpg

That is possible, although I suppose he could've always switched at some point. In either case I'd like to nail down something concrete to tie them together.

Fold3 shows him with a DOB of 8-2-46 and a date of death 5-11-96, he enlisted 9-18-64 and was discharged 2-21-67 from the army. It is the same person, I just don't think he was in SF. May have been attached to them but was not regular SF. One thing about an obituary, sometimes they only print what the family tells them.

Thanks for taking the time to look him up fellas, I appreciate it. Manchu I definitely agree. I've come across obits to vets with no connection to any unit in the obit- I can only attribute it to error in the families recollection. In either case this should be a fun little research project!

When my grandfather, a WWII USN vet died, I read his obit that my family had submitted and it said he earned five Bronze Star Medals! It blew my mind as I never knew, and I had talked to him about his service on many an occasion...but then I read his original military documents that I had never seen before and figured out his "Bronze Stars" were "bronze stars" as in "campaign stars" on his Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, not as awards for personal bravery. No matter what, though, he was a bad*ss anyway!

• 2 weeks later...