Rhode Island - Riverside/East-provenance - Suggestions on where to buy militaria

Going to the Riverside/East provenance areas of Rhode Island tomorrow through Thursday. Was curious if there were any good shops to visit in the area (military, surplus, antiques).

Thanks in advance!

That should read the name of the city below; not provenance. I believe the forum auto corrects this in case anyone thinks I'm an idiot.

post-29885-0-48694600-1422907531.jpg

this provenance/post-29885-0-48694600-1422907531.jpg

thing happens all the time. it's a bit aggravating: as far as any military shops in that area, not a one that I can think of offhand- antique shops- few on route 44 in Massachusetts, [seekonk, Rehoboth, Taunton ] but none that really are solely selling militaria or a lot of it. there is a pawn shop in the Warren area that has a lot of Militaria-that's about a twenty minute one way ride to the south of East Prov. as for other antique shops in RI area- there is an old mill in Greenville where many antique dealers sell under one roof its called: Stillwater Antiques 711 Putnam Pike Greenville, RI- last time I was there they had some militaria but it was all spot on retail priced. there were/may be a few antique shops on the East side of Prov- not East Prov- this would be off or near the universities- and literally a hop and a skip from Riverside- you would need to get onto 195 and get off near Wickenden Street - lots of little 'junk' shops there you might be able to dig around in.....this would be the fox point exit I think........

I spent a year of my naval career in Rhode Island (you can drive just about anywhere in it in about an hour!) :D and never did find any solid militaria shops. I spent most of my time in Newport, where there are a good number of antique stores that get in an occasional military piece, but I never found anything of note. I would second what Thor said about the little junk shops...probably your best bet for looking around. There are a lot of little towns there and it's the type of thing you never know what will come up.

Thanks, Thor. Regarding the city-that-shall-not-be-written issue, I understand people misuse the city name for provenance, but seems a bit extreme to delete it from the forum altogether.

That aside, I appreciate the feedback. I'll give Stillwater a try. Don't mind paying retail if they have some interesting items. Will also try Winckenden St. Looked at some photos of the area online and looks to be a nice little area.

I usually just do a Google search for antiques, plug the address in and see where it takes me, stopping at shops along the way if any pop-up. May give that a try as well.

Again, thanks for the help!

I spent a year of my naval career in Rhode Island (you can drive just about anywhere in it in about an hour!) :D and never did find any solid militaria shops. I spent most of my time in Newport, where there are a good number of antique stores that get in an occasional military piece, but I never found anything of note. I would second what Thor said about the little junk shops...probably your best bet for looking around. There are a lot of little towns there and it's the type of thing you never know what will come up.

Thanks, Dave. Those type of shops are usually my favorite. It's nice to find that little piece of militaria hidden between porcelain signs, circa 1800's dolls and depression era glassware. And usually that items is either way overpriced or way under-priced....never in-between!

Thanks, Thor. Regarding the city-that-shall-not-be-written issue, I understand people misuse the city name for provenance, but seems a bit extreme to delete it from the forum altogether.

That aside, I appreciate the feedback. I'll give Stillwater a try. Don't mind paying retail if they have some interesting items. Will also try Winckenden St. Looked at some photos of the area online and looks to be a nice little area.

I usually just do a Google search for antiques, plug the address in and see where it takes me, stopping at shops along the way if any pop-up. May give that a try as well.

Again, thanks for the help!

Stillwater wasn't bad last time i was there-there's quite a bit of antique stuff in there to gawk at........Wickenden are is a nice area- but here's a tip: DO NOT leave anything of value in sight when you are in the city that shall not be written: there has been a bit of a problem as of late in the city as a whole with idiots smashing windows to get at visible items..so put your electronics away and don't leave any loose change in site.....no problem at all. there is also an antique mall in Pawtucket and there is one in the old Newport Armory [Lord knows I have haunted them both]- but that's an hour from where you would be in Riverside ez [in this weather and there's NOT a lot of parking there to begin with]

I would also caution parking in prov WILL BE VERY difficult in the present conditions- snow - that area doesn't have a lot of parking in GOOD weather.......JUST A HEADS UP.

http://www.riantiquesmall.com/

Thanks again, Thor! I appreciate the tip regarding the smash and grab incidents. I work in some very questionable areas of Philly, so I'm pretty well conditioned when it comes to leaving nothing enticing in my car in sight.

I actually bookmarked the RI Antiques Mall site earlier as one of the places to check out. Wasn't sure if it would be too hoity toity, but figured I'd give it a try if nothing else popped up.

I hit the RI antique mall every once and awhile...very big place and always some military items sprinkled in with the hoity toity stuff...same with Stillwater...if you venture just a little north of the RI border into Mass theres a great Army Navy store in North Attleboro...GI Joes.....mike

I hit the RI antique mall every once and awhile...very big place and always some military items sprinkled in with the hoity toity stuff...same with Stillwater...if you venture just a little north of the RI border into Mass theres a great Army Navy store in North Attleboro...GI Joes.....mike

never been to the GI Joes in North Attleboro-where is that near?

It is on Route 1right near the Dairy Queen a few miles south of Gillette Stadium....he has some cool stuff on display including jeeps and a helicopter outside and lots of not for sale goodies in cases to gawk at and plenty of cool stuff to buy.......mike

Thanks, gents. Unfortunately, my trip was cut short so I wasn't able to get out and about. I've bookmarked all of these locations, though, as I will be making a trip back up that way early next month.

Thanks again!