RUINING HISTORY!? WWII EBAY GROUPING

stealthytyler

I've done this a few times too. Offered a price on a group that was split up and was able to save the group on multiple occasions (although they weren't this large!). Good luck!

I am in that dark area where i want to see that happen just because i dont like that they refuse to keep it together, idk its like even if it is their stuff they are still messing with someones history and thats always kinda bugged me

Offer made, hope that ole' saying rings true that "money talks" B)

As a few other members have stated, why didn't you just make an offer to the estate sale company? You knew about this sale beforehand, you knew one of our members was located nearby, and you knew it was all going to be boxed up and shipped to California for $1600. The Ebay auctions are now going collectively for well over $2,000.

Also, a note on the photos and negatives. I'd be very suspicious of the photographs in this lot. The exact same thin white border on all of them, the somewhat wonky shade of B&W, and the 4X6 size seems suspiciously like they are modern ink-jet reprints. You may want to confirm that the prints are original WW2 period items before shelling out a bunch of money for them. Also, the negatives are most certainly not 35mm. They appear to be a 127 or 120 film format (most likely 4.5cm X 6cm), and judging by the photo quality, were likely made from some sort of simple snapshot type camera.

I am in that dark area where i want to see that happen just because i dont like that they refuse to keep it together, idk its like even if it is their stuff they are still messing with someones history and thats always kinda bugged me

Some people just don't care. I couldn't care less about football, and at work that's all they talk about during the season. Imagine the looks I get. I can see where the apathy comes from, it's of no interest to them

Remember how many kids hated history in school because it was in the past and didn't apply to them? Most of the class. Us collectors are the minority who enjoyed the class

ViewfinderGyrene

As a few other members have stated, why didn't you just make an offer to the estate sale company? You knew about this sale beforehand, you knew one of our members was located nearby, and you knew it was all going to be boxed up and shipped to California for $1600. The Ebay auctions are now going collectively for well over $2,000.

Also, a note on the photos and negatives. I'd be very suspicious of the photographs in this lot. The exact same thin white border on all of them, the somewhat wonky shade of B&W, and the 4X6 size seems suspiciously like they are modern ink-jet reprints. You may want to confirm that the prints are original WW2 period items before shelling out a bunch of money for them. Also, the negatives are most certainly not 35mm. They appear to be a 127 or 120 film format (most likely 4.5cm X 6cm), and judging by the photo quality, were likely made from some sort of simple snapshot type camera.

As for why I didn't make an offer to the estate people, they said first-come-first-serve in person only, they would not take any offers from those not present at the sale.

The Ebay seller got a contact to buy it for them at the sale, and then it was shipped to them in CA...

As for the photographs, they're uncirculated negatives, and the seller made prints of them once each specifically for the listings. They will be shipped to the winners as negatives, not prints...when I made mention of being amazed when an individual got away with "sneaking a 35mm through combat" I didn't expect that it would definitely be a 35mm that was used to take the photos.

As for why I didn't make an offer to the estate people, they said first-come-first-serve in person only, they would not take any offers from those not present at the sale.

The Ebay seller got a contact to buy it for them at the sale, and then it was shipped to them in CA...

As for the photographs, they're uncirculated negatives, and the seller made prints of them once each specifically for the listings. They will be shipped to the winners as negatives, not prints...when I made mention of being amazed when an individual got away with "sneaking a 35mm through combat" I didn't expect that it would definitely be a 35mm that was used to take the photos.

Sigh... I don't think you are "picking up what I'm throwing down"... or maybe the other way around?

Yes, the majority of the images are negatives, whatever "uncirculated" means. A very large portion appear to have been made with an inexpensive half-frame (6cm X 4.5cm) 120 format "snapshot" type film camera. I highly doubt the seller made any prints from these negatives.

However, the seller is ALSO selling a number of actual 4X6 prints, such as the one in this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Photo-4th-Marine-Division-4th-Tank-Battalion-Identified-Wounded-On-Iwo-Jima-/221676814435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339cf7c063

It's very possible these 4X6 pictures are modern inkjet reprints. This isn't clear in the listing, and I think it's something important to know when bidding.

ViewfinderGyrene

Sigh... I don't think you are "picking up what I'm throwing down"... or maybe the other way around?

Yes, the majority of the images are negatives, whatever "uncirculated" means. A very large portion appear to have been made with an inexpensive half-frame (6cm X 4.5cm) 120 format "snapshot" type film camera. I highly doubt the seller made any prints from these negatives.

However, the seller is ALSO selling a number of actual 4X6 prints, such as the one in this listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-Photo-4th-Marine-Division-4th-Tank-Battalion-Identified-Wounded-On-Iwo-Jima-/221676814435?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339cf7c063

It's very possible these 4X6 pictures are modern inkjet reprints. This isn't clear in the listing, and I think it's something important to know when bidding.

Ah yes, now I understand what you were referring to. I'm not sure if they are original or not, but I'm putting most weight on the one which is of him in uniform that is in brighter light, purely to have a larger photo of him with the group. I don't know if it's original or not, but it's a great photo of him...

Raidercollector

This group will get real expensive. To Bad. The Japanese hat alone. especially being named. That is rare,For someone that can research that hat.

Nick

Nick - I think you are right this is giong to go expensive - there's been a lot of yakking about this grouping now it's targeted I think. So It would seem the only way to ensure keeping the grouping together is to bid high amounts on the items to ensure you get them. It's ironic to think that collectors who want to keep this grouping together because they believe groupings should not be broken up will end up, in an effort to keep the grouping together, likely bid up the items thus giving the seller more money than he paid for it. Thus justifying his, and other potential sellers, that groupings sell better broken up thus encouraging more broken up groupings!

Interesting conundrum

Very best

Bill K

The Ebay seller got a contact to buy it for them at the sale, and then it was shipped to them in CA..

First off I was in contact (via email and by phone)with the auction company from almost the beginning. They stated that they had a large offer for everything from a person in California. It was for $1600 and they also would not take any other bids as it would be unfair to the person in California, but would sell it for that amount or more to someone at the tag sale in person. If no one bought it there in person, they would themselves box it up and ship it all to them in CA. If the people you talked to selling it on ebay had someone go get it, maybe they are another group, I don't know.

If you read the letter he wrote about his life it could explain why there is few pieces of Army gear there. His brother was AAF and was killed in a crash landing in 1943 while he was in Camp Pendleton.

It really makes no difference I guess as it is all going to go for very unrealistic prices anyway.

Just too bad I couldn't make it to the sale.

ViewfinderGyrene

Any luck so far?

I saw a couple of garrison caps going for $100+ which is a lot of money to me.

Does anyone know where I could find the visor and sweatband assembly for WWII-era covers? I like the ones here but there's only one visor/sweatband frame....

Yeah,a $10-15 cap for $128.50.

That is just stupid.

I'm worried that prices like that will only encourage sellers like this to keep buying groupings so they can sell them off in a similar manner. Does one try to save the group at all costs, or does one try to starve the bad habit out of sellers pocketbooks and refuse to pay that kind of price, hoping they notice if/when prices drop off (if enough people follow suit)? It's quite an ethical dilemma.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

I say we all unite and refuse to bid/buy from sellers who split ANY sort of group! Then again, maybe the Easter Bunny will show up this year! LOL Seriously, I refuse to buy from sellers who split things up, regardless of quality or rarity.

John

I say we all unite and refuse to bid/buy from sellers who split ANY sort of group! Then again, maybe the Easter Bunny will show up this year! LOL Seriously, I refuse to buy from sellers who split things up, regardless of quality or rarity.

John

i think thats the wrong attitude IMHO i think you shouldnt overpay which would encourage them to do this but if you cant save it all, save what you can id rather buy something and have it be from someone who split up a group than have it sell to people who tear it up and cover it in fake blood for a costume. but again thats just my opinion

Everyone,

I have really enjoyed everyone's opinions! There are a few pieces that I would be interested in normally. Just my opinion only...the seller is not a collector to keep the history alive, just plain and simple a profiteer. I have understood this right from the start. Met to many in my life to think differently, we all have. The fact that this group is getting broken up is criminal. Just not right. There is no way I will bid on any one item. Who ever is trying to keep it together, good luck!!!

Marc

....plain and simple a profiteer. I have understood this right from the start. Met to many in my life to think differently, we all have. The fact that this group is getting broken up is criminal. Just not right. There is no way I will bid on any one item. Who ever is trying to keep it together, good luck!!!

Marc

A profiteer is someone who profits from a shortage of supply(ie: selling overpriced food in a disaster area or Super Bowl tickets for $4000+), the seller is NOT doing that.

He bought the items legally and is selling these items legally so what he is doing is NOT criminal.

These types of accusations and name calling happen almost every time we talk about breaking up a group. This thread will spiral downward as the auctions that this seller currently has, start to end. So, before we have to deal with it then, we'll shut it down now.