RUINING HISTORY!? WWII EBAY GROUPING

stealthytyler

Great grouping - Haven't seen any 4th Tank Battalion UNIS stuff in several years, and then it was a single item - map case. I wish I had seen the discussion or mention on this site of the original auction I may have thrown a bid in - I check this site several times everyday I don't know how I missed it. At any rate, I hate to see it broken up - agree with jguy in general and also that the seller's story doesn't sound plausible to me at all. But sellers will do whatever they want.

That said, I can't see breaking up any of the groupings I own. I know there are a million stories from collectors and dealers so I'm sure there will be those here who will be able to counter my humble observations. On the other hand I suppose that is they way we learn, I certainly don't know everything.

I guess my question is why not hold onto the grouping and shop it around a bit? It's not like a 2nd home you have to pay taxes and fees on as you hold on to it. There is no penalty for holding onto a grouping until you can find a buyer. For example, was it ever offered for sale on this site? How about on ebay where thousands of people can see it? How about taking it to Show of Shows in a few weeks? I've seen guys shell out 10, 20K in a weekend there some years.

Best to all -

Bill K.

By the way, I just looked at the auctioned items on ebay - I don't see the UNIS items anywhere so unless some one of you guys got it seems like perhaps he pulled that stuff for himself and is selling off the rest? Of course I suppose since it looks like he is listing stuff tonight perhaps he just hasn't gotten to it yet?

If I'm wrong and someone on the forum got it love to see pics of the UNIS stuff.

Best to all -

Bill K.

uniformcollector

Ahh I remember this seller. He broke up groups from Col. Stuart Herrington and Maj. Gen. Diab. I was able to get a small piece from each, but you'd need a lot of money to keep either together.

stealthytyler

By the way, I just looked at the auctioned items on ebay - I don't see the UNIS items anywhere so unless some one of you guys got it seems like perhaps he pulled that stuff for himself and is selling off the rest? Of course I suppose since it looks like he is listing stuff tonight perhaps he just hasn't gotten to it yet?

If I'm wrong and someone on the forum got it love to see pics of the UNIS stuff.

Best to all -

Bill K.

What does UNIS mean? Thanks!

Why do we have to argue this every single time a grouping gets broken up? Heads up to try make those potentially interested in reuniting, cool, got it. Have done it myself on parted out groups I couldn't afford to try to keep together. But the "discussion" is always the same, some think it's the crime of the century, some think it's just the way it is. End of the day, the owner can do what he wants with it, no matter what the rest of us think. I like to see groups stay together, but it's not always going to happen

Brig -

I agree somewhat with what you say but on the other hand this is a militaria forum and stuff like this is good fodder for conversation and chagrin. As far as arguing over each grouping, I can only say each grouping seems to be sold under different circumstances so there are different points to be made. In this particular case the seller made a pretty provocative statement, that he is breaking up the grouping to help out the little collectors who can't afford groupings. I hope you can see how that might touch off a discussion. I certainly have never heard that one before.

Brig - you mention something interesting to me - "I have parted out groups I couldn't afford to keep together." I am interested to know what that means? Not being snarky - I am curious. I have been lucky to accrue some groupings in my collection but nothing I couldn't afford to keep together all these years (35). As I said above, these arent 2nd homes you don't pay taxes or maintenance to hold on to them. So, what makes a grouping hard to hold on to? Again, just curious as although I have been collecting a long time I far from have all the answers. :)

Another interesting point you bring up, brig, is that there seems to be no consensus among collectors about what is right in terms of selling off groupings or keeping them together.

Thanks!

Best to all

Bill K.

What does UNIS mean? Thanks!

As Bill stated

Its a series of numbers and symbols to identify division/unit and individuals as well as equipment with in the unit and division.

The group being discussed has the Half circle or "stirrup" which designates the 4th Marine division.Search the word UNIS here and you will find 4 pages of topics showing markings and their use.

Best to all -

Bill K.

The UNIS stuff is up.

ViewfinderGyrene

I love how he is selling the papers and miscellaneous items separate from the brief case they were found inside. :lol:

Yeah isn't that amusing 207? That case is so salty, I love :)

He should cut off the epaulets and pocket flaps. Somebody might need one of those.

And take the rivets out of the field gear. Someone might want them, or they could be good for scrap metal value.

{sarcasm font off.}

USMarineCorps

I just hope no forum members will bid on it as that would make it even more expensive for "ViewFinderGyrene" to keep the group together. I'd rather miss out on a nice piece of USMC history, knowing that it went to a good home where it would be reunited with the other parts, then just getting it cause I like it. Just my 2 cents.

ViewfinderGyrene

I just hope no forum members will bid on it as that would make it even more expensive for "ViewFinderGyrene" to keep the group together. I'd rather miss out on a nice piece of USMC history, knowing that it went to a good home where it would be reunited with the other parts, then just getting it cause I like it. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the affirmation, USMC! ;) I will say to those thinking of bidding that I'm not focusing as much on the negatives.

There are so many of them that it would take up half a grand just to buy them at opening price. They are after all, negatives, and extremely delicate. I have a few in mind that I would like to get prints of, but if there is one member on here that has in mind to focus exclusively on the negatives, PM me so I know somebody wants to go for most of them :)

As a freelance photographer myself, some of them are so amazing from that aspect, somebody had the guts to sneak a 35mm through combat! They're never published, unseen until this week. Is that incredible or what?!

vintageproductions

menber like that be banished .....

olivier

Just do a search on some of the other named groups that were mentioned earlier

this isn't breaking up a group because there are a couple items you can't store or breaking up a group that you have tried to sell as a whole for a time and no one would buy...

this is breaking up a group purely for profit and because you don't care about history.

period.

Vultures see fodder and they swoop.

-Brian

this isn't breaking up a group because there are a couple items you can't store or breaking up a group that you have tried to sell as a whole for a time and no one would buy...

this is breaking up a group purely for profit and because you don't care about history.

period.

Vultures see fodder and they swoop.

-Brian

Unfortunately, the seller probably found out about it from the original well-intended post on this forum. I can't see how the company would have otherwise gotten an offer all the way from California. I doubt many people are scanning the estate sale listings for sales 2000 miles away on a whim.

ViewfinderGyrene

Unfortunately, the seller probably found out about it from the original well-intended post on this forum. I can't see how the company would have otherwise gotten an offer all the way from California. I doubt many people are scanning the estate sale listings for sales 2000 miles away on a whim.

They told me they had a contact/assosciate in Ohio, who went and got it for them, then shipped it to them...

Brig -

I agree somewhat with what you say but on the other hand this is a militaria forum and stuff like this is good fodder for conversation and chagrin. As far as arguing over each grouping, I can only say each grouping seems to be sold under different circumstances so there are different points to be made. In this particular case the seller made a pretty provocative statement, that he is breaking up the grouping to help out the little collectors who can't afford groupings. I hope you can see how that might touch off a discussion. I certainly have never heard that one before.

Brig - you mention something interesting to me - "I have parted out groups I couldn't afford to keep together." I am interested to know what that means? Not being snarky - I am curious. I have been lucky to accrue some groupings in my collection but nothing I couldn't afford to keep together all these years (35). As I said above, these arent 2nd homes you don't pay taxes or maintenance to hold on to them. So, what makes a grouping hard to hold on to? Again, just curious as although I have been collecting a long time I far from have all the answers. :)

Another interesting point you bring up, brig, is that there seems to be no consensus among collectors about what is right in terms of selling off groupings or keeping them together.

Thanks!

Best to all

Bill K.

Not what I meant, I haven't parted out groups. I've let people here know about groups being parted out that I stumble upon, that I can't afford to win all the pieces to keep together, so maybe they can

Different reasons, yes, but these conversations tend to stray to cover them all