AN6530 information needed

usaaf93

Hello

There are different colors of lenses for AN6530 goggles (clear, amber, green and black). Do you know when the different colors were used and what for ?

Thanks for your help

Julien

Amber is typically worn to "brighten" cloudy or foggy conditions. Green was as you would use sunglasses. By "black" I'm guessing you mean a very, very dark green which was used for very, very bright conditions such as looking for "the Hun in the sun" at high altitude. There is a well-known photo of a B-17 waist gunner wearing what I believe are the "black" lenses you mention.

The black lenses, I believe are the sky lookout shade.. I bought several pair new way back.....not good enough to weld but dang close...very good for those terribly bright days.... I used em at air shows....

Sky look outs were if I'm correct in saying, a US Navy issue as I find no mention of them in the AAF Class 13 catalog

Amber ,Green (anti glare) and clear were the 3 issue lenses to the AAF

LB

LB the Skylook out lenses when packaged individually do all seem to have Navy contracts don't they ?

I do have it on pretty good authority they were designed to be available under the AN standardisation to "Air Gunners" though .

So maybe AAF and USN .

The ones I have, the wrapper has a NX xxxxxxxx number on it, dated 1943...would that be Navy then? What I need to look in to, is getting a pair in prescription....

Hi Julien,

As mentioned by other posters, the "Dark" Sky Lookout lenses were furnished to the U.S. Navy. They are a very dark gray in color when you look through them, although they may appear "black" in vintage photos. Issue optical glass lenses were also available in clear, green and amber color for use with Army B-7, Navy Mk-II and Army / Navy AN-6530 goggles. The very dark Sky Lookout lenses were probably originally intended for shipboard observers, but were used by aviators as well. During wartime, there was a defensive "sky lookout" (as well as surface) watch maintained aboard Navy ships at all times when at sea. American Optical had a Navy contract to supply these goggles and their replacement lenses.

For more information on the AN-6530 goggles try: http://pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_106.html

For the lenses, try: http://www.pilotsmanyourplanes.com/Page_119.html

Best regards, Paul

post-9787-0-16522700-1422986725.jpg

post-9787-0-62224200-1422986738.jpg